VOGONS

Some games hate my Trackball.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by UndeadHalfOrc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

... namely, Betrayal at Krondor.

It seems to use its own internal mouse driver because it takes forever to move the pointer around.

I'm used to using a trackball exclusively but I always keep a real (and modern) mouse around, and I tried it, and it was suddenly much more playable - although the pointer still moves slow.

(It's a Trackman Marble Wheel, BTW)

I think it's really the game at fault here, not Dosbox, but I just wanted to point it out.

Reply 3 of 13, by UndeadHalfOrc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

DOSbox does have a mouse sensitivity setting - maybe playing with that will help.

Thanks, that did it! I increased it from 100 to 200 (for that specific game only).

I'm using 0.72, I know it's old, but I'm always wary to upgrade, since all of my dos games work fine now (and I have lots of them)

Reply 5 of 13, by UndeadHalfOrc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have installed 0.73

It's a royal pain to convert each and every one of my 0.72 config files for each of my games to 0.73

And I still can't get Yeager's air combat to have speech in 0.73

About the setting "output"... what's the difference between surface and overlay?

Reply 8 of 13, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wd wrote:

0.72 config files will still work in 0.73, no need to convert

It is STRONGLY disadvised to use old config files.

If the game was working with old config file, in most cases it will work properly with the same config file in new dosbox. If it doesn't work properly you can just update it. But if it works properly there is no need unless you want to use some new features.

Reply 9 of 13, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

But if it works properly there is no need unless you want to use some new features.

Wrong. Config files from different versions may be arbitrarily incompatible
so there's no point in creating another uncertainty factor by recommending
to just use old config files.
Create a template new config file, add the game-specific changes, or use
a frontend for ease.

Reply 11 of 13, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

BAK also had the same behavior for me using a Logitech Trackman Wheel on both the OS X and Windows versions of DOSBox. It was still playable, but the mouse pointer would only move a fraction of the distance per move of the trackball compared to other games. If you used a regular mouse it would work as normal. I also saw this happen on an old Chinese DOS game I used to play, 4 River Mahjong from Hantang.

As HunterZ suggested, adjusting the mouse sensitivity higher seems to remedy the problem.