VOGONS

First post, by rdeniseq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I'm trying to install The 7th Guest on my laptop and I somehow managed to get through the DosBox and got it to begin uploading and installing the 7th guest. The installation goes seemingly well for about 10 seconds and gets stuck on the "xmi.rl" file. Any clues as to what might be causing this? I've tried to restart, I've tried deleting the files it had already copied and then I restarted the installation process but it always gets stuck on the same file. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

😁

Reply 2 of 33, by rdeniseq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry, I'm not very computer literate...the fact that I navigated my way through DosBox is a miracle within itself!

By create a dummy i'm assuming you mean just create a new folder and title it AUTOEXEC.BAT and then create another folder named CONFIG.SYS and both of the folders are supposed to be located in the C: drive...right when I open it up?

Thank you 😉

Reply 6 of 33, by rdeniseq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is a breakdown of what I am doing:

My original 7th Guest disk is in my cdrom drive which is the e:\ drive

I open DOSbox and type in the following:

Z:\> mount d e:\ -t cdrom

Then it tells me that the MSCDEX is installed and that the D: drive is mounted as CDRom e:\

I then type:

Z:\> mount c c:\t7g
(I created a file in the C: drive...right when I opened up to explore the C: Drive is where I created the “t7g” folder)

Then it tells me Drive C: is mounted as local directory C:\t7g\

Next:

Z:\ c:

Then:

C:\ d:

Then I type:

D:\> dir /w

Which makes the files pop up and I can see the install file. I tab a few times until the install.bat shows up and I begin the installation…I go through all the prompts and then it begins installing and stops about 5seconds into the installation process on the file called “XMI.RL”

Reply 7 of 33, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

first do this:
http://support.mfm.com/support/std_procedures … extensions.html

than go to c:\t7g\
and right click, choose new, new text document.
rename new text document.txt to autoexec.bat

than go to c:\t7g\ again
and right click, choose new, new text document
rename new text document.txt to config.sys

Reply 12 of 33, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re: 60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox

click on the screen only after the sceleton hand cursor appears or wait for it and move the mouse so it reapears

Last edited by robertmo on 2010-04-09, 23:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 33, by rdeniseq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see the skeleton hand, I hear the theme music, I can click within the screen ONCE...and after the second time it disappears. ctrl-F4 didn't do anything for me...
🙁
i really appreciate all your help

Reply 18 of 33, by rdeniseq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know what I have done differently, but now after the please insert disc 1 screen shows up...I insert disc 1...and i click to continue...and nothing happens...the skeleton hand disappears for 2 seconds and nothing has changed...the music still plays...the hand is still motioning...and it still asks for disc 1...any new ideas? thank you for all your help!