Rank

try this
put the NOCTIS folder in the C:\ folder

mount c C:\Noctis

C:

CD MODULES

NOCTIS

that's the easy part.
next, depending on your system, you may have to set CYCLES=MAX.
OUTPUT=SURFACE should work.
there is no sound, so I didn't worry about those settings
I usually set CPU=DYNAMIC
if you know haw to work with *.CFG files, create one and
make these changes to it. I usually created shortcuts to both the emu and the CFG file and put them both on my desktop. then made specific changes for the game I wanted to play. Save/close, start DOSBox, and if everything is just so, the game should start right up. print out the docs, too, if you can. check the MANUAL folder. hope!

"I have super powers, too. I can blind people with the glare off my forehead. UUHHH!'

Reply 2 of 8, by silvercoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry, I forgot to mention that my last post covered the Windows method. now I'm trying to figure out how to run it in Linux.
Ok, the file you want is /MODULES/NOCTIS.EXE. unfortunately, DOSBox only supports changing directories only once. even if you put the NOCTIS folder in your /home/name directory, you would still have to get into /MODULES. I wonder if there's a way to edit GO.EXE to turn it into a DOS *.BAT file?

"I have super powers, too. I can blind people with the glare off my forehead. UUHHH!'

Reply 3 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GO!.EXE only calls Noctis. Nothing else. It's only there to make believe that it's a Win32 app with an icon.

Just write your own .bat file in the noctis directory that just contains

cycles max
cd modules
noctis
cd..
cycles auto
cls

Cycles max is thrown in there because it's a real mode app.

Have bore... i mean, fun!!!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 8, by silvercoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for responding. actually, I figured it out.

mount c /home/NAME

C:

cd /noctis

chdir /modules (DUUHHH ME!)

noctics

I never did it in Windows. I just put it in C:\ & then CD to Modules.
next, I created a config file & edited it for the settings I wanted. (also something I didn't do in Windows.) then
I just opened a terminal & called NOCTIS.CFG with dosbox. in Windows, I set cycles=max & it ran ok, but it still
crashed sometimes. unfortunately, in Linux it's still very sluggish even with cycles=max, worse than the Windows performance. I have a Pentium 4/ 3.33G CPU w/512MB RAM.
BTW, in Linux I had to set mididevice=none or it crashes while loading for some reason.

Reply 5 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

check out how you are responding... you are opening new threads left and right instead of responding to threads...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 8, by silvercoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for correcting me. Also, is there a way to render a post to look like a normal paragraph, and not like a page of C source code? The past couple of times I've posted, I've tried to clean it up after checking it in 'Preview' mode, but it doesn't seem to work.