VOGONS

First post, by nechus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Windows 3.1 is running like a charm on DOSBox, but Word 6 requires share.exe to be installed.
What can I do? Where can I get share.exe? Where do I have to install it?
Thanks!!! 😊

Reply 1 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

no go...
Dosbox does not support share. There is a fake share around which one can use to fool Word/Office/Lotus Office/... that share is working but the functionality of share is not given and thus might lead to data loss.
You can also bot from a hard disk image inside dosbox, install windows 3.11/Office on that and it will work.
Just ask yourself do you really need to run Word6 for other reasons than being able to do so?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 3, by nechus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your help, Dominus! And yes, yours is a good question: I'm tinkering with DOSBox and Windows 3.1 just for fun. I took my first steps into computing with Windows 3.1, and when I discovered that I could run it on VirtualBox I was very excited, but it was impossible to get any files out of the virtual machine. With DOSBox I can save documents into the folder that was mounted as C: and then print them or save them onto a pendrive.

I'll try the hard disk image solution, anyway.

BTW, I installed WordPerfect and it doesn't ask for the SHARE file.

Reply 3 of 3, by redblade7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And yes, yours is a good question: I'm tinkering with DOSBox and Windows 3.1 just for fun.

I guess I'm *not* alone in doing stuff like that... 😀

-redblade7

Rogue Central @ coredumpcentral.org