VOGONS

First post, by roland1968

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I have a scroll problem at The Perfect General 1. If playing a scenario which map is bigger than the scenario window and I scroll down and
then I scroll up, the text line over the scenario window will be copied above the whole scenario window (see the attached screenshot).

I use dosbox 0.74 and I've tried all options for resolutions and VGA-Cards.

Additional infos:

CPU: AMD Athlon II 250
Graphic adapter: MSI R4350-MD512H
dosbox: 0.74

Best regards
Roland

Attachments

• Filename
    Scroll_problem.JPG
    File size
    168.24 KiB
    Downloads
    188 downloads
    File comment
    Screenshot
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 10, by Python1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to resurrect this guys but does anyone have a possible solution? I just tried to play The Perfect General and came across the same issue.

When playing a large map scenario if you scroll the map up towards the top of the screen you get the top line of the screen repeated over the whole view as per the pic in the previous post. Scrolling other directions seems to be fine though.

Reply 2 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The scrolling (up) issue appears to be in video hardware and/or video memory emulation. Loading a video BIOS and booting real DOS do not make a difference; no calls are made to INT 10h for the scrolling. The problem is not seen in Bochs or the NTVDM. Scrolling text windows are also affected, such as the help option on the main menu, which is easy to get to.

Reply 3 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It seems the issue is in CPU emulation with normal core, not video emulation. I really wasn't expecting to find a significant CPU bug at this point. Anyway, use the core=dynamic setting as a workaround.

Reply 4 of 10, by Python1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi ripsaw8080, thanks for taking the time to look into this.

I tried changing core to dynamic as you suggested but it still didn't work for me. I then tried playing with other config options and trying with Daum but still no joy. What config setup are you using when it works properly for you?

Reply 5 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Default settings, then type the command "core dynamic" before running the game. I don't think the settings make much difference; the display glitch is caused by a CPU bug. If dynamic core doesn't get rid of the glitch for you, perhaps it works differently on your system than mine, in which case you may have to wait for a fix to be committed in SVN.

Reply 6 of 10, by Python1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like ill have to wait till the next svn.

I reset the options all back to default, did as you suggested with typing core dynamic before running the game but still the same issue for me. C'est la Vie.

Again, thanks for your assistance.