VOGONS

First post, by Gregster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I've been trying to get DOSBox to work with Kali, an IPX over IP service home to a population of about two dozen veteran Descent pilots who have been playing since Kali's inception in the early 90's. Unfortunately, DOSBox does not notice Kali's IPX driver when DOSBox is launched from within Kali (games have to be launched from within Kali in order for them to be linked to the Kali network).

Kali works with almost any IPX application by somehow intercepting that application's IPX. It lets us use any Descent source port we want to fight each other; we decide beforehand which versions are okay for a battle. We might have some guy in a Windows 98 machine with a Voodoo card fighting against a guy on Descent Rebirth with the latest and greatest hardware, and around the corner is some other guy flying a DOS machine with a 486.

Right now, keeping old computers around is the only way to enjoy a DOS version of Descent over Kali. If DOSBox had a way to access the Kali IPX driver, one would not need to build a DOS system to play an older version.

I suspect that Hal's Megabuild MAY fix the problem, but it requires installing winpcap. I find installing winpcap to be an unacceptable security risk since it was originally designed for packet sniffing. Many malware and virii use that library.

I really wish that DOSBox had its own LAN support. Not only would it enable support for Kali, but also LogMeIn Hamachi, Tunngle, and many other third party LAN-over-internet solutions. The current system seems to force everyone to use DOSBox's inbuilt system, and while this is great if everyone wants to be on DOSBox, it falls short in any situation where individuals wish to mix and match their experience (such as Windows ports interacting with pure DOS).

-- DOSbox 0.74 on Windows 7 64-bit / C2Q Q9300 / 8GB RAM / NVIDIA 9800 GT 512mb / Game: Descent / Utility: Kali/Hamachi/Tunngle

Reply 1 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dosbox has ipx over tcp by itself.
there is some patch that adds local ipx support (so you can connect with old dos pcs), but I don't see much need to include it in the official release.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 8, by Gregster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know that DOSBox has IPX over TCP on it's own - I'm wanting to use it with third party IPX over TCP solutions which already have game communities that don't necessarily use DOSBox itself for playing those games, or use different connection methods (Kali is peer to peer rather than client-server, for example).

If you're referring to the "Native IPX" patched version provided by H-a-l-9000 at http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/ --- that one didn't work with Kali for me. I have not tested the NE2000 passthrough patch one, but I don't want to (it requires winpcap).

Reply 5 of 8, by Gregster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Somewhat off topic (sorry for double post - I didn't want to edit previous one and I'm not sure if this warrants a new topic): I did realize one other use for direct network access with DOSbox that may be in demand - running Windows 3.1/95/98 boxes in DOSBox and running 16-bit TCP/IP Internet applications on 64-bit Windows operating systems (which cannot run 16-bit applications at all). Another potential use would be, say, using DOSBox on a Nintendo Wii to browse the Internet on Windows 95 -- not terribly useful, but a lot of people would want it for the cool factor (look at the large number of "Windows 95 on Wii" videos on YouTube).

More seriously though, many other emulators out there include some basic ethernet (even Basilisk II, the Motorola Mac emulator), and I am surprised DOSBox does not. I strongly feel that not having native networking is hindering DOSBox's potential - it has the potential to be utilized as a lightweight virtual machine in situations where a full virtual machine software would be impossible. DOSBox has the advantage of being very easy to use, lightweight, and easily ported to many platforms.

Please reconsider your decision someday and add native networking to DOSBox. It will turn DOSBox from a mere game player into something far more, and make it a more complete product.

Well, that's my final two cents on the matter. Thank you again for your time.

Reply 6 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dosbox is intended for running DOS GAMES.

I don't care much for win95. There are other emulators more suitable for that.
No need to bloat our code.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!