VOGONS

How to install Windows 98 Second Edition on dosbox with 3dfx video card?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 32, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
valnar wrote:

Win98 supports WDM mostly (some older VXD won't work) and that is the cause for some of the instability.

The first edition of Win98 didn't support WDM at all. Nor do I know which VxDs might not work that would be relevant to a Win98 installation running in DOSBox.

DOSBox works better on the glass-half-empty side of 16bit vs 32bit. Win98 is more half-full towards 32-bit.

If you want to run 16-bit programs in DOSBox, you'll probably have a much easier time with Windows 3.x.

Reply 21 of 32, by Quaker766

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
valnar wrote:

I would say Win95 is preferable to run on DOSBox, not just because its more stable, but because it's a better option for the games & hardware the emulator can support. Win95 supports the older VXD drivers which is more compatible with DOSBox. Win98 supports WDM mostly (some older VXD won't work) and that is the cause for some of the instability.

DOSBox works better on the glass-half-empty side of 16bit vs 32bit. Win98 is more half-full towards 32-bit.

Yeah i get the same thing with 98. Crahes BSODs illegal operations with explorer, but the 3dfx emulation only seems to work with 98 (because 98 had detection for the 3dfx voodoo inbuilt) 95 on the other hand needed the install floppies. I have them but my floppy drive is busted so i cant make images of them. Anyway 95 always gives a BSOD setting up in dosbox probably because I select detect CD drive and video capture card.

Reply 27 of 32, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
telanus wrote:
I've got Win98SE running Quite nicely here. Crashed every now and then, but that's windows for you. http://i1225.photobucket.com […]
Show full quote

I've got Win98SE running Quite nicely here. Crashed every now and then, but that's windows for you.
Clipboard04x.jpg
Clipboard04.jpg

How did you got the Intel 82441fx Pentium (r) pro processor system device on your windows 9x on DOSbox SVN ?

Reply 32 of 32, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

This thread is ages old. Please try either a VM or use the dosbox-x fork. Plain Dosbox is not ideal for Windows 9x

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper