VOGONS

First post, by Nytegard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Using the Complete Ultima 7 CD version.

When playing the game, the audio will cut off in the intro after the Guardian starts to say "Avatar, know that ..."

Unfortunately, I can't install the game inside nor outside of DOSBox. I'm using Win 7 64 Bit, so it won't run 16 bit code, and when I try installing it inside DOSBox, everything goes well until it reaches the choose your audio section, at which point it claims the installation failed, and immediately exits out.

I generated the config file through installing Serpent Isle (and copying it over), and Serpent Isle plays just fine, but The Black Gate doesn't.

Just to make sure, I installed the game with my CD on a 486, and everything worked perfectly, but I didn't remember to copy the config file before I placed it back in storage.

Reply 1 of 2, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Give us your moutings you use with dosbox when you try to install it, also your exact commands you are using. My suspicion is that you either didn't mount a c drive or didn't specify your cd rom drive as such, or a mixture of that 😉
Also you can just copy the folders from the cd onto your hard drive, you only need to make sure they aren't read only on yor hard drive. See http://exult.sourceforge.net/docs.php#cdrom_install

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 2, by Nytegard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

mount C D:\DOSBOXGAMES
mount D H:\ -t cdrom

The install still doesn't work, so I did just copy from the CD Drive over. Being that I wanted to use my MT-32 rather than Sound Blaster for the audio, I ended up using the Serpent Isle install, which did work.

I finally got the audio to work, but I had to run the game once using only the Sound Blaster at which point it would work once I replaced it with the MT-32 & Sound Blaster combo.