VOGONS

First post, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rally Championships (cdrom edition) error message

My system: centrino2 dual core 2ghz, geforce 9600m gt, vista 32bit, 4gb ram, Idt high def audio codec (soundcard), HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L. Using dosbox 0.74 with default config settings.

I mounted the cdrom using mount d f:\ (my real disc drive letter) -label cdname -ioctl_mci, hard drive drive: mount c c:\gamestoragedirectory

If I try to start the game directly from cdrom I receive an obscure error message: Runtime error 100 at 0000:0089 and then the application hangs, it does not return to dos prompt but the classic dos symbol "_" is blinking.

the game has got a start.bat file to be executed, here is the bat content:

@ECHO OFF
POSIX
RACECD

If I directly execute posix.exe it give the runtime error but it returns to dos If I use racecd.exe it hangs with blinking "_" (and not return to prompt)
If I use install program go.exe (as the game manual suggested),
I got a "runtime error 002 at 0000:17C8" after selecting soundcard (sb16 220 7 1), processor (the faster that is available, a pentium 90) and install directory. It returns to dos prompt (again no crash in dosbox) and it does NOT install.

Tested and working under real dos environment on a legacy pc.

Situation at 10.10.2010
: tried with different cdrom mount settings, different output settings. still no luck.

Last edited by Myloch on 2010-10-10, 08:11. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 2 of 19, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll do other tests with virtual pc and a real dos environment too. I'm curious to see the overall behaviour.

edit: testing with virtual pc now. using start.bat from cdrom gave the same Runtime error 100 at 0000:0089 error (probably the game cannot be started directly from cdrom). the game installs with no errors and using start.bat from hd only gave the old irritating "not enough memory to run the game" (536kb free is not enough for this bastard!)... but this is another problem (the fight with autoexec and config settings). I will do other tests with dosbox too.

Reply 7 of 19, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally, it works now. I abandoned the virtual pc and after a dos installation from zero on an old p200 mmx I installed and played the game there without errors. The game however runs too fast (the game was designed for 386 and 486 cpus), the car is fast as hell! 😄' but that is another problem. So the test with virtualpc/legacy pc is over.

Last edited by Myloch on 2010-10-09, 19:13. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 9 of 19, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

mount d f:\ -t cdrom -label CDLABELIDONTREMEMBERIT -ioctl_mci

f is my real cdrom drive letter

wd wrote:

Runtime error 100 is "disk read error" whyever that may occur here.

It occurs when I try to start the game from cdrom, instead of installing it.
It gives this error in a real dos environment too.

Last edited by Myloch on 2010-10-09, 17:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 19, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, there is a reason: I use it when I have cdroms with audiotracks, it's the only setting I found to hear audiotracks perfectly. the default setting give me audio interruptions every random seconds (blocksize or prebuffer or too old pc specs who knows). I tried with other ioctl methods too however. thanks for the advices guys, dosbox is a formidable piece of code and runs very well 99% of my old titles and in the future it can only improve. I will not cry if this game will not work 😉

Last edited by Myloch on 2010-10-09, 18:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 19, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This thread is confusing and utterly pointless.

First, the OP should make up his friggin' mind whether he wants to run the game in DOSBox or on a legacy PC. Depending on this choice, he should then describe his problems, preferrably in seperate posts in the appropriate subforums. Furthermore he should add (in both cases) detailed information about his system and about how he installed the game (and about how DOSBox is setup).

Only after following these simple and self-evident procedures there's a chance of actually achieving something. Until then this thread will just ramble on uselessly, jumping back and forth between problems.

Reply 16 of 19, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So to clarify, you never got this running in dosbox? I am having this same issue currently, so it would be nice to know if a solution was discovered.

Reply 18 of 19, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The game has to be installed, but the method of installation is not obvious. Also, there is a bug in one of the game executables that is likely to occur in DOSBox, but it has a workaround.

First, in DOSBox copy COMMAND.COM from the Z: drive to the root of your emulated C: drive. This is necessary because the installer does not use the COMSPEC environment variable like it should.

Second, switch to to the RALLY subdir on the cdrom and run GO.EXE to install (really obvious). Choose the appropriate CPU speed and sound options to match what is configured in DOSBox before selecting the "INSTALL" option. The installer suggests C:\RACE as a working directory, so use that or something similar and the necessary files will be copied there.

Lastly, modify START.BAT in the install dir to:

@ECHO OFF
POSIX
D:
CD \RALLY
RACECD

This is assuming that your cdrom is the D: drive, change if needs be. Switching to the cdrom drive and directory is the additional part, and is needed because of a bug in the POSIX.EXE program. The program relies on a pre-existing memory value for the length of the cdrom drive and path string, which produces arbitrary success or failure depending on the length being "long enough", but tends to fail in DOSBox because its memory is initially zero values.

The game should then work when you run START.BAT from the install dir. Note that the game has doc-check copy protection in addition to requiring the cdrom in the drive.

Reply 19 of 19, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just in case anyone else comes across this, as I was searching for info on the game before I capture it, I found using F3 and F4 can slow the framerate to make it playable on PCs that are too fast. Either that or set DOSBox cycles to between 15000 - 30000 (depending on what is playable)!

It's a bit of a shame, as the game runs much smoother on Amiga (see YouTube clips) than PC. If you try to get the same framerate on PC it runs too quick to be playable.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor