VOGONS

First post, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using DOSBox 0.74 and also tried SVN. I'm on Linux 64-bit.

Timidity is running in the background (128:0). Playing midi files with "aplaymidi --port 128:0" works OK. However, DOSBox will not play MIDI in any game a tried, unless I have a MIDI file playing with aplaymidi before starting DOSBox. As you can imagine the result is a cacophony of notes, since both the game's music as well as aplaymidi are audible at the same time 😜 Digital sound also stops working in that case. I tried both "uart" and "intelligent" for mpu401, to no avail.

Is there any way to fix this?

Reply 1 of 4, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found a way to make this work. When I start timidity manually, without starting it as an init.d service, then DOSBox works correctly.

What could the cause that makes DOSBox not work when timidity is started as a background service? Other programs (like aplaymidi) don't seem to have a problem with this.

Reply 4 of 4, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found out that there's a software synth that seems to work better then Timidity and is able to work as an ALSA sequencer: Fluidsynth. I just installed that, along with a very nice GUI for it, "QSynth", which allows very easy control of all settings.

I must say the sound quality seems better than Timidity (I use the "Airfont 380 final" soundfont.) Almost as good as my retro Terratec Maestro 32/96 with its hardware wavetable 🙄 If Fluidsynth works on your platform, I highly recommend it.