VOGONS

First post, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think this is probably a fault in the original game but I thought I'd bring it up here in case it could be remedied even though I've seen no other threads about this.

It seems like a memory issue to me, the more screens you navigate particularly the ones with a lot of animation the slower the animation runs and the game is to respond to your clicks.

I've run this under Windows 98 and didn't see the issue so I'm thinking poor DOS coding here, has anyone experienced this besides me?

Heres how I can recreate this once you get on the boat.

1. Navigate to the reception area.
2. Navigate to the Nude Pool.
3. Navigate to Drew Barringmore (move left off the nude pool screen).
4. Repeat the above steps. For me by the time I get to the 3rd heavy animation screen things are crawling.

Here's my config:

DOSBOX .74

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=1920X1080
windowresolution=original
output=ddraw
autolock=false
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper-0.74.map
usescancodes=true

language=
machine=svga_s3
captures=capture
memsize=16

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=auto
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

I should mention no matter what I set the cycles at it always slows down and I've tried it at various settings the lowest being 40,000. I can't remember if it took that many to get the game running smooth, I suppose I could try lower maybe the cycles being so high through it off...

I can play it in windows but I just wanted to get it working in dos box and I was curious. Any help is much appreciated.

Reply 1 of 1, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just did a little more testing, I remember setting the cycles because the audio use to get choppy but I tried setting it to max and it doesn't seem to have the same problem. I guess a little extra juice gets by whatever is causing the problem in the first place.

Anyways just wanted to follow up, the audio doesn't seem to skip anymore with it set to max either, maybe a difference between .73 and .74. I haven't tried rolling back to see, it's enough that it's working with the new settings.