Topic actions

First post, by mappoule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I still have problems with Prehistoric 2

The game start but sound flickering.
I can choose start beginner in the menu. After I can see an animation with Level 1 beginner on screen but there is problem with the I of Beginner that "jump".
I can also see the map of the level but can't go far. Black screen...

Bye

+-----------------+
Dosbox 0.60
+-----------------+
P4 1.8Go
Ram : 320 Mo
DD : 20 Go
Dell optiplex GX260
videocard : i810
+-----------------+

Reply 1 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Same here. It seems the game is doing some undocumented or not emulated yet VGA calls. BTW is Prehistorik.

One other thing, slightly off-topic. Testing SiSoft's Sandra on my comp. I noticed under the GeForce4 Ti4200 tab it read: VGA compatible = NO
What that means? maybe that's the source of all my problems with ms-dos games compatibilities?

Reply 2 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I should have started a new different thread, but anyway...

Tested Prehistorik 2 under new DOSBOX 0.61 and now i can begin playing. But as soon as i hit fire key, DOSBOX kicks me directly to desktop. Running under WinXP prof. SP1 - Any suggestions? I deny to think we won't be able to run this crappish game. 😁

EDIT: I remember prehistorik 1 has a nice "r" command-line option to reconfigure everything, but i think Prehistorik 2 hasn't. Have to test it when i arrive home. (I'm at work now).

Reply 3 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Quite some time debugging prehistoric 2 has been spend allready
The game decides to change it own code at a certain point.
Then it replaces a push by a sti (or the other way around)
Either way the stacks gets a mess and it crashes.

Fizzban and I haven't been able yet to determine why it changes that code. (We think it some weird debugger protection)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks QBIX, so it seems it will be wise to forget it for now. Prehistorik 1 was better, though. I have read somewhere that the programmer did include some protection routines even inside the scroll routines. Blearghhhh. 😁