VOGONS

First post, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am trying to run a very old game called ROBBO. It is a simple DOS game. When I try to run it start okay but when I get PLAY I get the error "ro.dat exist but cannot be opened in write mode. Please remove write protection"

I checked and it is NOT protected. It is NOT an archive. I can edit and alter if I wish. Why does DOS think it is write protected? Is there something in DOSBOX.CONF that I can change to make it recognize this?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found out that the program is attempting to rename RO.DAT as RO.EXE and back again. It does not appear to be write protected but perhaps Windows 7 has some new feature which is preventing this. I can manually change the DAT to EXE but the game will only work once as the code within the game itself automatically attempts to change EXE back to DAT. Although it won't let this happen, the EXE file becomes corrupt!!!

Does anyone know why Windows 7 is doing this? I am using DOSBOX but apparently that doesn't make a difference. I have set permission to "all" so what is the problem?

Reply 2 of 5, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make sure you are *not* running DOSBOX and the game inside the Program Files (x86) folder.

It's probably ok to run DOSBOX from their as an administrator but create a separate folder for you games off another HDD or partition or from the C: drive create a folder named games or dosgames.

Then make sure you have full control over said folder and install/copy your game folders/files there instead.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 5 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the exe/dat file might be open when renaming.
I changed the code of dosbox a while ago to allow this when renaming with FCBs. maybe regular renames need a similar treatment, or maybe they use the FCB rename thing/

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!