VOGONS

First post, by darrenpowell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, I notice some discussion on MicroProse Flight Sims ... I'm trying to get European Air War to work ... it doesn't work on any NVIDIA graphics card with a driver after version 66.93 apparently ... I'm running a GeForce 9400GT with a driver version: 260.99 ... so I'm not going to be able to go back to version 66.93! You just end up with the Error Num: 7217 message ...

I'm trying DOSbox with no luck so far ... any suggestions?

It was originally a Win95 game requiring a 200Mhz Pentium II proc, 64MB of RAM, 3D graphics accelerator (Direct 3D or 3Dfx Voodoo), DirectX compatible sound card and DirectX 6.0 or higher ...

Any help appreciated ... thanks!

darrenpowell

Reply 1 of 6, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a Windows 95 game...not a lot to do with DosBox.
Why wouldn't you be able to roll back driver versions?
There's a tool called Nhancer for Nvidia cards that might help you get it running under that driver version, it creates game profiles and lets you tweak a plethora of settings, helped me more than once to get games running when I had an Nvidia card, google for it and look in their forums and nvidia's, maybe someone has a fix.

Reply 2 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't know about the full game but the demo works on Windows 2000 to Vista 64bit using Virtual PC 2007 and Windows 98SE as a guest OS.

You'll also need to reduce guest hardware acceleration to the second notch from the left and disable mouse additions

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 6, by darrenpowell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Bloodbat, I thought it would be a pain to roll back drivers just for one game, but that utility looks cool ... I read somewhere that someone suggested running EAW in MS-DOS mode to get it working ... just thought DOSBox might allow you to do a similar thing ... ? Anyway, I've got all the old Lemmings and stuff going great ... so EAW would just be a bonus ... thanks for the reply!

Reply 4 of 6, by darrenpowell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool, thanks DosFreak, I've never heard of Virtual PC before ... I'll get onto that now ... I've emulated my old Atari 1040ST on a PC before but this DOSBox stuff is new to me, the Virtual PC sounds like fun ... cheers ... !

Reply 5 of 6, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice to see people still taking interest in flightsims. 😀
There is/was a huge active community for this game and SimHQ is providing a forum for it.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/ … an_Air_War.html

Here you can get the latest unofficial(community)patch for it, hope it solves your problem.

http://www.sandbagger.uk.com/EAWNewFront3.html

Good luck. 😉

Reply 6 of 6, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was just reading the SimHQ forum about it and they just brought out a new patch. Almost never happens, imagine that, 🤣

You can get it here:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/ … tml#Post3187890