VOGONS

First post, by frip

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First post here, dosbox is so great im having a blast many thanks & hi 😀

I found a fix for PD2 but before adding it to the compatibility database was hoping to get a yep on this prob & confirmation its not just my computer.

After setting up soundblaster. On loading pd2.exe the splash screen displays then i hit space to start but only get a black screen, (doesnt happen with adlib).

Now if i decrease cycles <5000 whilst the screen is black the menu shows (yay!) i can now change the cycles back up to my pc's rate of 7708 to get decent speed and play Revenge of the robot warriors table to my hearts content. I have to repeat this procedure to get back to the main menu.

Anyone else have this prob?

Reply 1 of 6, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yes, I have the same problem. This also appears in games Pinball Fantasies & Pinball 4000. Problem arises only when sound blaster (or pro,sb16) is selected in setup, so the sound driver causes this.

I think there may be uncleared allocated buffer in dosbox, because I was actually able to run Pinball Fantasies at cycle speed over 5000, but only after dosbox was run many times and OS probably allocated same memory segments to dosbox.

Reply 2 of 6, by frip

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Same thing happened here, wouldnt of persevered if it hadnt ran with sb one time. Pinball X and another i cant remember suffer too. Pinball fantasies has more problem with wrong colours on the selection screen, look like 16 but on a real machine there 256 but the weird thing is i cant get a screenshot which perserves them always comes out like dosbox display.
Updated the compatibility db with findings. Thanks for the help Srecko.

Reply 3 of 6, by mortene

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In pinball dreams they use the 16 color mode, and a raster interrupt to change the palette when 50% of the screen is drawn. This makes it look like more colors. This might be a problem to emulate 😀