VOGONS

The Settlers

Topic actions

First post, by Kaare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all..

I was wondering if anyone has any success with The Settlers?

It says in the compatibility list that this game is supported by DosBox 0.60, but it always crashes when i try to connect a road to a flag in the game!

It crashes and says: Unhandled CPU opcode

It seems a bit weird to me because i can see at the screenshots in the latest CVS post that The Settlers CAN function...

Im running it on Windows 2000 with a P4 Celeron 1.9GHz

Reply 4 of 11, by Kaare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried that hehe..

I guess i just have to wait, but i think its a bit weird because in the screenshot post from the latest CVS, wich is 0.60, the game seems to work fine!

Or are there a newer CVS from wich those screenshots were taken?

Reply 5 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

To be completely honest.
the screenshots were from before 0.60
but in 0.60 there was somecode that is probably causing the crash ( a non-fatal warning was converted into an exit)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 11, by MegaBlast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It runs succesfully for me using dosboxcvs-060125. However I'm unable to use Gravis Ultrasound as music card. The funky setup program tries to use hardware directly and it fails. it works only as soundblaster+general midi.
But the quality of music on GUS was outstanding as I remember. I would love to hear that again (well, I have somewhere my GUS MAX on the shelf and some old P200 machine so I might assemble this one day yet 😉)

Reply 8 of 11, by MegaBlast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
`Moe` wrote:

Works here. And you are right, great music quality.

What do you mean "Works here."? Did you run "The Settlers" using GUS emulation? How? What dosbox version? What config?
C'mon I just extracted midi's from settlers and run on Timidity using GUS patch set. But I want to have this quality in game.

Reply 10 of 11, by MegaBlast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
`Moe` wrote:

I just use it. No special configuration neccessary, an average dosbox.conf works. Did you install the GUS drivers inside DOSBox?

I just played with it a bit. I had to provide C:\ULTRASND dir under dosbox mounted c drive (I don't mont real C:\ as C:\ 😀). I managed to run config file to use GM+GUS (GUS only as sound card not music card). But using setup program to configure GUS as both gfx and music card fails at the end "Sound Driver File Not Found, PC Speaker Sound init saved".

But I have my original GUS config saved years ago, so copying config files and then running loadpats.exe and serf seems to work. 😀

Reply 11 of 11, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm. I can use GUS as music and as sound card. I don't know, from where I've downloaded this version of "The Settlers", but I know, how make GUS to work with The Settlers 😀

First, run ultramid exe. After this, run sound setup and set option FM-MUSIC- Advanced Gravis Ultrasound Card and FX Effects -Forte UltraSound (TM) Digital Sound. After this, edit file settlers.bat and add command "loadpats" before "intro.exe" and "sett.exe". And finally, run settlers.bat, and enjoy this great music 😀