VOGONS

First post, by Rangoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just been reading through more threads and getting prepared to make this happen. Here is one thread that implies it will work.

My plan is to:

1. install DOSBox 0.74 (I am using Vista 64-bit)
2. install Win 3.1 (probably get the files transferred from floppies to HDD)
3. uninstall Quicktime
4. install The Dark Eye

Does that sound about right?

Reply 1 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Nah, INSTALL quicktime, not uninstall it 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 25, by Rangoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right - I know what you're getting at, but I think I meant what I said. 😀 I think I need to uninstall my current version of Quicktime so that the version of QT that comes with The Dark Eye will be installed along with the game. Am I wrong?

Reply 3 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1st of all if you follow the list of steps there will not be a quicktime installed for you to uninstall.
And when I read the first post of the thread you link to, then the steps are:
1. Install dosbox
2. Install windows 3.x in dosbox
3. Install dark eye ( which install qt 2.0x)
4. UNINSTALL QT (2.0x)
5. Install QT 2.1x

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 25, by Rangoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, okay. Then I guess I misread that first post. Does the Quicktime version get installed separately within Win 3.1 within dosbox? It is separate from my normal OS version of QT, right? It would have to be....yes. Thanks, Dominus.

Reply 5 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Windows 3.x doesn't come with quicktime. You need to install it yourself or software/games that need it installs it. In the case of qt sometimes even messes with the installed version.

Reply 6 of 25, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Dark Eye comes with version 2.0.3 of Quick Time. I find that scenes get skipped with this version in DOSBox. So characters make a gesture as if they're about to say something but never do. Replace it with version 2.1.2 of Quick Time.

Reply 9 of 25, by phanboy_iv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, now based on what I'm seeing in Youtube videos versus what I'm getting, it looks like the narrative audio at the start of the game is missing, as well as some character movements and speeches.

I'm using the suggested QT 2.1.2. Any ideas? SB drivers are correctly configured.

Reply 10 of 25, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

For me the game's introduction and initial gameplay is identical to this; it doesn't seem like anything is missing.

I'm using DOSBox 0.74 with default settings, WfW 3.11, S3 Trio 64K colors graphics driver, SB16 sound driver, and QT 2.1.2. The game is version 1.0.3, and I'm mounting an image of the disc with IMGMOUNT.

Any significant differences in your setup? Can you be more specific about what game content is not appearing for you?

Reply 12 of 25, by phanboy_iv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SKARDAVNELNATE, that's exactly what I'm seeing. I also don't get the narration at the pool. Just the music.

I'm using WfW 3.11, the S3 driver and SB driver from here Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide

and Qt 2.1.2. Need to check the game version. I am also mounting the CD image.

Reply 13 of 25, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The QuickTime movie that precedes "Go ahead on in." is:

D:\DKYDATA\ML\MA\MLAMNOCK.MOV

Try opening and playing it in the QuickTime movie player. Note that the data and movie directories on the disc are hidden, which complicates browsing, but you can just type the full path and name into the open dialog.

I am not missing any of the audio. The game version is in the readme.

Reply 14 of 25, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I get the pool narration.
MLAMNOCK.MOV plays in Quick Time. In the game the animation is shown but the audio is missing.
I also tested it with VPC 2007 and it works there.

The readme I have doesn't mention the game version. Possibly it's older. Is there a patch to get version 1.0.3?

Reply 15 of 25, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If that movie's audio works in the movie player but not in the game, that suggests some kind of game issue. Perhaps fixed or limited cycles will make a difference?

I doubt it's significant in this case, but I also use a SB driver update applied to the driver from the Win3 guide.

Reply 16 of 25, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cycles was set to auto before. I changed it to 40000 and I hear that part of dialog now.
I also noticed that previously the door knock sound played after the animation and that it took a while for the caretaker to step out from behind the door. Both of those are syncing up better now.

Reply 17 of 25, by phanboy_iv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quicktime plays its sample movie just fine, but says it cannot open MLAMNOCK.MOV when I try to open it via the movie player. My display driver seems to be configured correctly.

Tried limiting the cycles to 4k, not making a difference. I suspect Quicktime is having issues for me.

Tried reinstalls, as well as going back to the one the game came with. No luck.