VOGONS

First post, by steveo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry if this is solved elsewhere, but I did search for the topic and couldn't find anything on it. I've successfully installed Duke Nukem v 1.3d and can play it no problem. I'd like to install the Plutonium Pak from original CD, but whenever I try to do this, it fails. I've tried using images made from the CDs, as it suggests on the dosbox site to try that if things from disc don't work, but still it fails.

Has anyone out there successfully upgraded Duke from v1.3d to 1.4 through DOSBox? If so, what's the secret?

Many thanks.

Reply 1 of 6, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This may be the time stamp issue. See this thread for details:
DOSBox changes date/time of the files

I was able work around the problem by installing Duke Nukem 3D on a Windows 98 system. This left the original time stamp intact and I was able to proceed with patching. However this requires a second computer running windows 98 which I don't everyone to have.

Reply 2 of 6, by voivod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I have the same exact problem right now. I just finished Duke Nukem 3d (v1.3D) and wanted to install Plutonium Pak add-on in order to play "The Birth" episode. Installation of the patch fails.
Is there an SVN build that would preserve timestamps? Or maybe a command or a program that I could change a timestamp in DOS? (like "touch" in UNIX world).

Reply 3 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Some suggestions for patching with 0.74 here.

The Daum build supports changing file date/time stamps (on Windows, not sure about other platforms), but you will probably have to re-install DN3D.

Reply 4 of 6, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
voivod wrote:

Or maybe a command or a program that I could change a timestamp in DOS? (like "touch" in UNIX world).

"touch" like functionality already provided by MS-DOS since version 2+
via INT 21h function AX = 5101h
http://spike.scu.edu.au/~barry/interrupts.html#ah57

and there exist dos programs that actually utilize it, such as: (DOS) Norton Utilities's File Date

File Date, Norton Utilities 8.0, Copyright 1994 by Symantec Corporation

Change the file time and date information.

FD pathname [/D[date]] [/T[time]] [/P] [/S]

/D[mm-dd-yy] Set the date to [mm-dd-yy]
/T[hh:mm:ss] Set the time to [hour:minute:second].
/P Pause after each screen.
/S Include Subdirectories.

Running FD without /D and /T will stamp the current
date and time on all files matching the file specified.

but i'm not aware if such function were implemented by DosBox or not.

-fffuuu

Reply 6 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think Norton Commander allows setting custom timestamps.

And it is always possible to change the timestamp from the host OS running DOSBOX.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys