VOGONS

First post, by SARA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CAN ANYBODY HELP ME?? IM TRYING TO PLAY FRACAS FROM GECKOSOFT ON DOSBOX IN WINDOWS VISTA AND IT DOESNT work all i get is a black screen.. how can i make it work? i used to love to play this game and now i have the full version.... 😢

Reply 1 of 15, by Vince.Bloodworks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi SARA,
I don't know if it's the same version as you got it
( I've downloaded it from here http://www.dosgames.com/dl.php?filename=http: … soft/FRACAS.zip ).
When I tried to run this game with the MegaBuild 6, i've got an error with the DOS4GW. Then I tried to run the game in Dosbox 0.70 and it worked!

In this Dosbox, the memory amount and the cpu-core are:

memsize=16

core=normal

Try to use these settings, maybe it'll work for you =) ...

Good luck
Vince

Reply 3 of 15, by Vince.Bloodworks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm I always get this error while trying to run the game (in Dosbox 0.73 and 0.74):

DOS/4GW Fatal Error: Can't initialize loader[1] -- LINEXE_LOADER
I've installed Dosbox 0.74 again on a different drive, only mounted the directory and tried to start the game but it's the same error.
I'm using Windows XP Pro with SP3.

But I only wanted to help SARA and I don't play this game anyway(at the moment .. maybe later ^^) so that's not a problem =D

Reply 5 of 15, by SARA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

THANK YOU SO MUCH I'VE ALREADY PLAYED THIS GAME ON WINDOWS XP ON MY OLD PC, I WANTED TO PLAY ON VISTA AND I CANT DO IT WITH DOSBOX... 😢 although on xp i could only play the demo version, the full version wont work to with dosbox... 🙁 thanks anyway 😀

Reply 6 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If it worked in Dosbox on XP, it works in Dosbox on Vista. If it doesn't the user Sara is doing something different. Maybe installing it again helps... But make sure you fix your caps lock key, could be this is creating errors...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 15, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The game appears to work OK with default settings. Have other games displayed something in DOSBox on your Vista system? Try changing the output setting in your .conf to ddraw, overlay, or opengl.

Reply 12 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

So what did the trick?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper