VOGONS

First post, by katarr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I am trying to install Warcraft II - Tides of Darkness following the guide here:

http://www.doctort.org/adam/nerd-notes/warcra … step-guide.html

As soon as I start the setup I am taken to a screen "Warcraft II Setup Utility".
I go into Digital Setup and set it as Soundblaster 16 (sound test works fine) and do the same for Music Setup. I then Save and Exit (as that is my only choice) expecting that it will then install the game. However I simply get a black screen.

If I do not set up the sound system I get taken to a screen which says type WAR2 to play. However, I want the game with sound so wonder if there is a way to fix this?

If there is information anyone needs on my system that could help tell me and I will get it for you but I wondered if this is an easy problem to fix:

Newest version of Dosbox

Reply 1 of 3, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you running setup from the original CD? Setup should automatically install the game to your hard drive, asking for the install directory and copying files before allowing you to configure sound. "Save & Exit" will try to write settings to disk, which could explain why it hangs (trying to write to the CD).

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 2 of 3, by katarr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I copied the files from my disc a couple of months ago before I moved house and now I cannot find the disc, so i burned the folder contents to a disc and am using that but perhaps something hasn't copied correctly.

Reply 3 of 3, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You might need to add the option for the mount-point for the directory with the files from the cd with "-t cdrom" when mounting, as I remember one other game having the install program run differently depending upon whether it was running from something it thought was a cd or a hard drive.

If the install program thought it was on a cd, it would install the game, then configure it after install. If it thought it was on the hard drive, it would just run as a way to configure the game.