VOGONS

First post, by T.B.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember as a child to have played Novastorm with German subtitles during cutscenes.

That's why I've done some research and found the following quote in the readme.txt

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- SUBTITLES ========= […]
Show full quote

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUBTITLES
=========

French and German subtitles are available. Please make sure your COUNTRY.SYS
entry in your CONFIG.SYS file is set correctly for your country. Refer to
your DOS manual for details on how to do this.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to cheat, by doing the following:

I have made a DOS directory than copied the country.sys (from MS-DOS 6.22) into it
and created a config.sys with the following content:

COUNTRY=049,437,c:\dos\country.sys

But I had no luck! The Game did not accept the deception.

Don't get me wrong, the game runs fine with DOSBox (even without subtitles 😉)
but out of curiosity is there way to load the country.sys inside DOSBox?

Reply 1 of 2, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Other than the keyboard, I think all DOS country info is hard-coded to USA. Given that COUNTRY.SYS is not loaded like other device drivers, programs like DEVLOAD seem even less likely to correctly load it in DOSBox. I guess the "right way" to get full country support is to boot real DOS and use FAKECD or SHSUCDHD to create a virtual cdrom of the game disc.

The attached archive contains a couple of simple TSR programs to make Novastorm display the subtitles. It's possible to get away with only supplying a different Country Code in this case, because none of the numeric/currency/date/time format stuff is used; but that might not be true in other cases.

Attachments

• Filename
    CNTRY.ZIP
    File size
    898 Bytes
    Downloads
    242 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 2, by T.B.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You sir, are a (assembler) genius. The Microprose-Installer-Fix, the Hattrick-Fix and now Novastorm. Thank you very much 😉

BTW, after reading you first sentence now I'd realize why my German Norton Commander uses the USA date and time format. 😮