VOGONS

First post, by srboneidle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm having trouble running Quarantine using DosBox. The game loads fine - I actually have an original CD for it 😁 - and it gets through all the start scenes and such.

The problem is after I start a new game. It loads a new game, but freezes when it shows the initial screen, where it says "WELCOME TO QUARANTINE PRESS ANY KEY TO START". It doesn't register anything and the music loops in the background.

Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated - this game is amazing!!

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 6, by smurf2004

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well after enjoying the disk version i came home to grab my Cd version.

doesnt work though, same problem as srboneidle.

Plus there isnt any sound in the opening credits and title screen either, while everything works perfectly on disk version.

i wanna listen to CD while playing !!! 🙁

also, anyone know the correct video codec to play the intro in WMP ? i can get sound but i cant see anything.

Reply 3 of 6, by smurf2004

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok i managed to get the CD rom version working, but still without sound.

when mounting the cdrom, you need to use -t cdrom. The gam,e will no longer hang.

runs a lot slower than the disk version though.

anyone have any ideas for sounds ? why does it work for disk version but not cd version ?

Reply 4 of 6, by smurf2004

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

woohoo got it working !!

not sure what the exact fix is, all i done was install the game within dosbox, also when i mounted the Cdrom this time, i used the -aspi flag. Now sound works AND cd music !!! woohoo. But ...

... it runs slower than me on a 500m race. Ive just realised im testing it on a p3 500. While i tested the disk version on my other computer (which im currently away from) which is a p4 2.66 Ghz. See how its runs on that later on tonight.

hope the DosBox team improve speed on future release. Im one step closer to playing my favourite game ever again. Havent played the game properly since i had a p133, that was a looooong time ago. I guess i could play disk version which runs perfectly, but i want CD music :p

Reply 5 of 6, by Silencer131

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In case you havent read the manual: you can overclock dosbox to speed up the emulated program (see documentation for more details).
I'm no dosbox developer so I cant tell whether dosbox will speed up in the future or not (my guess is it probably will one way or the other). However, it will never speed up in a way that you can play those games with 500 Mhz. Keep in mind an emulator emulates sound, graphics, and everything else. All this has to be processed by your CPU (unlike non-emulated games whose processing is done by your soundcard, graphics card, cpu etc) which is a lot of work. Thus most games will require a high-end machine (especially games that required high-end machines the time they were released, such as most Origin games). Quarantine will run a lot better on the P4 2.66 Ghz, be sure to overclock dosbox properly to get maximum performance.