VOGONS

First post, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've unearthed an old CGA/Herc puzzle game that I remember playing as a kid - it's titled simply Labyrinth. It's in English, but might have been a local Israeli production, not sure about that though. You go through random mazes of increasing difficulty while collecting "pebbles".

The files have actually stayed intact since the old floppy incarnation of the game, at least judging by the timestamps. However the game just won't run under DOSBox (tried 0.74, SVN, older versions too). The two .com executables (one for CGA, one for Hercules) do nothing and just drop right back to the prompt.

This was distributed freely back in the day and never sold commercially (there aren't even any copyright strings / author info, anywhere in the executables or in the game's readme... just some ad for a defunct computer store here in Israel).

Therefore I'm attaching it here for testing. If anyone can take a look and see what's up, that would be cool.

If the mods don't feel good about the attachment being here, then I stand corrected, just remove it. However I'm reasonably sure that it is ok to distribute.

Attachments

• Filename
    LABYRINT.ZIP
    File size
    89.43 KiB
    Downloads
    326 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 2 of 8, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

naturally... also tried low cycle counts, loadfix, and the different cpu settings. Should've mentioned that.

looking at the .com files, it seems like the compiler was a Borland one from '85, if that gives anyone a clue towards troubleshooting this. It ain't the infamous runtime error 200, though.

Reply 3 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It tries to verify 8 sectors on the last track of the A: drive, which won't work in DOSBox unless you mount a floppy image. However, it does the verify twice, expecting the first to fail and the second to succeed after it has altered the diskette parameters. This may be because DOSBox does not handle the parameters in its BIOS disk routines; but booting DOS doesn't seem to help, so not sure that's the case. It could be a keydisk check, but freeware games generally don't have those. Anyway, the attached archive contains a TSR program that will tell the game what it wants to hear.

Attachments

• Filename
    LABFIX.ZIP
    File size
    799 Bytes
    Downloads
    298 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 8, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ripsaw: fantastic, works like a charm. Thanks (as always)!

haha... I doubt that a tutorial would help too many people unless they already know x86 assembly like the back of their hands and are grand wizards at debugging.
However, if there was a web page of sorts, housing all those small game-specific fixes (a bit like peterferrie's site), that could be very handy 😀

Reply 6 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

To debug DOS programs you need some specialized knowledge in a few areas; and the more you know, the less frustrating it tends to be; but you don't need to be a wizard to be effective.

In the scenario where people search vogons about a specific game or issue, an attachment is as handy as it gets. I think a storage site would only be handy for a few enthusiasts interested in finding fixes for things they didn't know needed fixing.

Reply 7 of 8, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yeah, you probably have a point there.

Off-topic: are there any good resources you'd recommend, for those who want to start getting their heads around x86 assembly/debugging? I've got some programming background, but mostly as a hobby, and nothing near as low-level as this stuff.
I don't even have an oldschool-enough machine to do the dirty work on, so this is all theoretical, but that might change...

Reply 8 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I looked closer at what diskette parameters the game uses for the second verify: it uses the current parameters but changes the sector size to 256 bytes. My guess is that the original floppy was formatted with standard 512-byte sectors, except track 39 had 256-byte sectors. Can't imagine any reason except copy protection via keydisk, but a workaround is necessary to run the game because DOSBox doesn't (yet) support unusual formats.

@VileRancour: To avoid going off topic, I replied to your questions with a PM a few days ago. Please check your messages.