VOGONS

First post, by nad destroyer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone, I've been trying to play thunderscape for years as I can never get the sound to work on any computer. So I figured on tring to use Dosbox. However I know nothing about how to operate it or even just to play one game.

I have 2 copies of thunderscape game so no need to download anything from the internet. I'm using windows 7 on a lenovo computer. When I tried running thunderscapethrough dosbox it just when to a mounted drive D or something like that. I managed to get to the installation screen by typing in INSTALL.EXE. But when I try to install it doesn't work. Could someone help me out here? I've been trying to play this game since 1999 and never been able to get it working properly. Could someone help me out?

Ugh hold on I just found the 60 second guide. I'll give that a try and maybe do some more reading. Sorry I made this topic before I looked around the guides area.

Reply 1 of 6, by nad destroyer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ugh I feel like an idiot, I used that 60 second guide and I got it installed and running. I took my 5 minutes though. Sorry to the moderators for this topic... if it could be moved to wherever it belongs. I thought about deleting the topic or closing but I've already encountered some very minor problems and I might see some major ones so I'll just use this topic for my further questions so I don't make other ones.

Reply 3 of 6, by nad destroyer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright yesterday I managed to play a little after installing. Its a little glitchy here and there but the I heard the games sound/music/voices for the first time in over 10 years. After creating my party of course I go straight to the mandatory battle and the combat animations was moving so slow is was nearly frozen. Thats not my problem now though... after that I thought I would fix it after getting back home.

And now I can't even get into the game. I used the 60 second guide to install yesterday and I tried doing this:

You have 2 solutions:

1.Copy the dosbox-0.73.conf file to somewhere in your Documents folder and name it according to which game or configuration you want, e.g. MyGame-0.73.conf.

Next, edit your DOSBox shortcut (or make a new one, call it Run MyGame) and change the target into something like
%ProgramFiles%\DOSBox-0.73\dosbox.exe -conf "C:\path\to\your\MyGame-0.73.conf"

Of course I had to make adjustments but I think I got it right. I put in the new file into the dosbox options to replace it as I couldn't figure out how to make a new shortcut using that conf. file. And it doesn't do anything. Could someone help me out there?

Reply 5 of 6, by greywolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just had a quick look. I started DOSBOX (0.74), mounted hard and CD drive, ran install from the CD drive, chose FULL and Soundblaster 16, which installed Thunderscape without a problem. Then I started Thunderscape by entering THUNDER at the DOS prompt and entered a new game by simply accepting the preconfigured party. I found the loading times relatively long, but still acceptable. Everything looked as it should, sound was there.
So far so good.
Then I went into the fight with the bees and noticed that the fighting animations slowed down the game noticeably, including stuttering sound. Increasing cycles (SHIFT+F12) helped a bit. But the rest of the game ran smooth, including sound. Then I noticed that the options let you turn off those animations, which solved "most of" the problem. You still see the bees moving, and this seems to cause little lags - nothing serious in my mind.
That's all for now. To sum it up: If you can accept fights without seeing swords (and probably magic effects), then switch the animations off, play with the cycles a bit (if necessary), and you should be fine.
There are other ways to tune DOSBox by playing with the graphics options in the conf file - I may give it a try later or in a few days when I have more time.

What you said about the "2 solutions" in your last post is just a way to make starting Thunderscape a little easier. You create a game-specific conf file (use the standard conf file, enter your starting commands in the autoconfig section at the end of the file, tweak other conf file options if desired and save it under a different name and/or in a different place), create a DOSBox shortcut on the desktop (or somewhere else) and call the modified conf file from this shortcut using the -conf option (right click properties and modify the command in the target line in the way you described it in your post). This should do it.
Good luck!

Reply 6 of 6, by nad destroyer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do have Dosbox .74.

I've been fiddling with Dosbox trying to get it where if automaticall mounts it where I can just type thunder and the game plays but no go. It takes me a while to do it manually, I really suck with this... I don't know what I'm doing wrong.