VOGONS

First post, by Triver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys I am currently trying to make the old racing game Screamer 2 (aka Bleifuss 2) run under DosBox 0.74.

I even got it working, however I would like to apply the 3dfx patch for it to get better graphics out of the game.
Simply launching the patch (S2_3dfx.exe) in DosBox fails, he simply says "Fatal error: unable to load DLL".

After doing some research I found out that I need a Glide Wrapper in order to be able to run games with 3dfx support, is that right?
Anyway I downloaded dgVoodoo and as it is described in the readme there I exctracted the necessary files (in the game files), launched the dgVoodooSetup under Windows and set it to DOS mode, windowed and crossed out VDD mode. After saving these settings I launched dgVoodoo.exe (still in Windows) and he said "Now you can run DOS-based Glide-applications!"

So I started DosBox and tried to start the patch again. however this time he said "grSstOpen failed!"

Does anyone have any idea what that means? Or even better, can help me solve it?
thx in advance 😉

Reply 1 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The official version of DOSBox doesn't support Glide.

You'll need to download an unofficial build. Either the ancient gulikoza build or yhkwong's build of DOSBox

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Builds

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 12, by Triver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok I downloaded yhkwong's build and tried again to launch the patch but its still the same error. "grSstOpen failed!"

Do I still need the Glide Wrapper for that build? If yes how do I use it properly (dgVoodoo)?

Reply 3 of 12, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

-Though it should be the default in yhkwong's packaging. Make sure you have...
[glide]
glide=true
...in your conf file.

-If you don't have a 3dfx card, then yes a glide wrapper is necessary, however yhkwong's normal packaging come with one by default.

-I believe the "Screamer 2" setup requires fairly low CPU cycles set, and may also require twiddling of the CPU Type. Unfortuantely, I failed to note what CPU type was required.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 4 of 12, by Triver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1) glide is/was set true
2) no I dont have a 3dfx card but if the binaries include a wrapper then I dont think its a problem or?
3) I'm not trying to run the setup, as I said before I managed to get the full game working. However for some reason the 3dfx patch refuses to work/start. He gives the above mentioned error, no matter what I do.

I have also already searched deep for this issue but I could only find people who have an issue with starting the original setup, it seems there was no one having a problem with installing the patch...

edit: ok after doing some more research it seems that the patch I am using seems to cause problems anyway. so there is another patch floating around which is about 1,2MB big and after some time I finally got it (apparently it was also on the Screamer Rally CD but I was too lazy to search there 🤣 )

so when I try to launch the s23dfx.exe in normal dosbox he only says "No PCI Bus detected" (I guess this cant be solved except using other builds right?)
then I tried it on yhkwong's build and he really started the game there 😀 (with the 3dfx logo appearing on start and better graphics)
but it was running really slowly, is there a way to make it faster?

here are some of my settings in the .conf file (they are all default anyway).

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
linewise=false
char9=false
multiscan=false
scaler=hardware2x

[cpu]
core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=auto
cycleup=10
cycledown=20

[pci] (should there be some values in here? because there aren't)

[glide]
glide=true
grport=600
lfb=full

Reply 5 of 12, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course you can't run the game with a glide wrapper.
1) Install the last Ykhwong's build.
2) Delete the file glide2x.dll in the dosbox dir.
3) Setup the dosbox: glide=true, cycles=max, output=direct3d (or ddraw), fullresolution=desktop, aspect=true.
4) Install the glide wrapper (nGlide is recommended).
5) Start the dosbox
6) Install Screamer 2 within the dosbox (use "cycles 40000" before the setup.exe, then "cycles max").
7) Install the s2_3dfx.zip patch.
😎 Run the s2_3dfx.exe and be happy.

Reply 6 of 12, by Triver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmm I appreciate the help but it is still lagging like hell 😒

Of course you can't run the game with a glide wrapper.

?? as I already said, I have no 3dfx compatible graphics card available (these are my specs btw:
Intel Core Duo 6300 @2.13GHz
2GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce GTS 250
Asus P5B Mainboard)
so how else should I run the game with the 3dfx patch? so far I have only heard that it should work with a glide wrapper (isnt nGlide also one?).
and I believe that my hardware should be able to handle this game, even with DosBox and a Wrapper...

Also I dont see any difference whether I use nGlide or the default .dll that is included in the build, changing the output or the cycles to auto/max doesnt make a big difference and it is still unplayable (because of the bad framerate).

did you manage to make the game run with the 3dfx patch and a good framerate?
if yes could you please tell me which version of dosbox you are using, what your specs are, which patch you used for the game and if you made some special changes to some configs?

Reply 7 of 12, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are 2 ways of getting glide in dosbox: 1. voodoo emulation or 2. the wrapper way. Based on your error: No PCI Bus detected, you are running no. 1. That's why the game is lagging (voodoo emulation needs more juice than the wrapper way). The GLIDE2X.OVL decides which way the glide will be used.

For starters, delete any glide2x.ovl that is in the game directory and/or installed by any 3dfx patch. AFAIK, ykhwong's build will manage ovl files on it's own depending on which option is selected in the conf (glide=true or glide=emu).

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 8 of 12, by Triver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are 2 ways of getting glide in dosbox: 1. voodoo emulation or 2. the wrapper way. Based on your error: No PCI Bus detected, you are running no. 1.

by these two ways you mean what is necessary to make the game run with glide? or how I can include glide in dosbox in order to make the game run?
if you meant the latter one the I just want to add here that I get the "No PCI Bus detected" only on standard dosbox and the game isnt starting.
the game currently runs with 3dfx only on yhkwong's build so far (and extreme lag).

that being said it seems I forgot the dgVoodoo files in the game directoy (where a glide2x.dll and glide2x.ovl where included) 😵
However removing them and using the ones from nGlide also dont seem to have any different effect.
And if I dont remove the glide2x.dll from the builds directory he says again "Fatal Error: failed to load DLL", probably because there is no glide2x.ovl but rather a glide2x_emu.ovl. But even renaming it to glide2x.ovl doesnt make any difference...

it also doesnt make any difference whether I use glide=emu or glide=true (with using the standard glide2x.dll or nGlide's), the game just keeps having the same framerate...

maybe I lack some understanding here so I'll simply ask this basic question:
which way is the better way to make Screamer 2 run with 3dfx, voodoo emulation or using a wrapper?
and how do I properly set up one of these ways?

edit: and if you know this could you also tell me which patch is now the right one to use? I'm currently using the patch files from the Screamer Rally CD so I guess it should be the right ones but just to make sure...

Reply 9 of 12, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Triver wrote:

if you meant the latter one the I just want to add here that I get the "No PCI Bus detected" only on standard dosbox and the game isnt starting.

I know, but the wrapper ovl (yes, it's a different ovl) does not have this error message, hence it's clear you're using official 3dfx ovl (which means the emulation way).

Triver wrote:

that being said it seems I forgot the dgVoodoo files in the game directoy (where a glide2x.dll and glide2x.ovl where included) 😵
However removing them and using the ones from nGlide also dont seem to have any different effect.

Under no circumstances should there be any need to copy dgVoodoo files, nGlide files or any other glide2x.* files into GAME directory. In fact, any such files need to be removed, if installed automatically by the patch.

Triver wrote:

And if I dont remove the glide2x.dll from the builds directory he says again "Fatal Error: failed to load DLL", probably because there is no glide2x.ovl but rather a glide2x_emu.ovl. But even renaming it to glide2x.ovl doesnt make any difference...

I'm sorry but I don't recall ykhwong posting any instructions that needed renaming glide2x_emu.ovl to glide2x.ovl...ever. The build will automatically use the correct file and place it on the Z: drive (which will then be found by the game UNLESS glide2x.ovl has been placed into game directory).

The only file ever need changing is glide2x.dll in the DOSBOX directory. But do that only if the game does not work with openglide or you know why you want to change that. How to set that up properly, depends on the wrapper used (if alternate wrapper is installed into system32 then it is sufficient to just remove the glide2x.dll since dosbox will then use the installed one).

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 10 of 12, by Triver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Under no circumstances should there be any need to copy dgVoodoo files, nGlide files or any other glide2x.* files into GAME directory. In fact, any such files need to be removed, if installed automatically by the patch.

I'm sorry but I don't recall ykhwong posting any instructions that needed renaming glide2x_emu.ovl to glide2x.ovl...ever. The build will automatically use the correct file and place it on the Z: drive (which will then be found by the game UNLESS glide2x.ovl has been placed into game directory).

I know that these things are not supposed to be but I wanted to try if it would work that way.
Afterwards I undid every change anyway (except the dgVoodoo files, totally forgot them there).

Anyway I did now some extra checking if all the files where were they are supposed to be and even installed the patch again and tried the different .ovg's and .dll's settings one after another and I finally got it to work 😁

now he starts the game in fullscreen and there is a different 3dfx logo showing up than before. changing some settings in the nGlide configurations doesnt seem to change anything though so I assume he still doesnt use its files (although I have no idea which files he would be using now instead 😦 ).
my current "glide status" is this:

- no glide2x.* in my game directory nor anywhere in the mounted DosBox folder
- nGlide installed in my Windows folder so a glide2x.dll in my Windows folder
- a glide2x.ovl and a glide2x_emu.ovl in my DosBox folder
- glide=true in my dosbox.conf

if DosBox really uses nGlide now, how do I prevent that he goes into fullscreen? because I would rather have it windowed.