VOGONS

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?thre … -5#post-1899188

IIRC running Redguard under Dosbox (which is a bitch to do) will always crash the game upon entering Clavicus Vile's realm. There's no fix for it.

So if you don't have a true Windows 95 or 98 machine, you won't be able to finish the game.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 6, by Stingm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is absolutely true! Here is another blurb from the uespwiki:

IMPORTANT: While it is possible to run Redguard under DosBox more or less if you play with the configurations long enough, the game will crash for sure if you enter Clavicus Vile's realm. This crash is caused by the core DosBox is emulating. None of the various emulated core-types can prevent this (verified for DosBox v0.73 and 0.74). At the latest at this point you won't be able to proceed with the game. If you don't have access to a true DOS or Windows 95/98 machine there is nothing you can do about this.

Sting

Reply 2 of 6, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Savegame for the testing please...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 6, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?thre … -2#post-1702654

Sceptic wrote:
Lies. I started and finished the game on DOSBox (one of the 0.7's I think) and the game did NOT crash in CV's realm. I don't kno […]
Show full quote

IMPORTANT: While it is possible to run Redguard under DosBox more or less if you play with the configurations long enough, the game will crash for sure if you enter Clavicus Vile's realm. This crash is caused by the core DosBox is emulating. None of the various emulated core-types can prevent this (verified for DosBox v0.73 and 0.74). At the latest at this point you won't be able to proceed with the game. If you don't have access to a true DOS or Windows 95/98 machine there is nothing you can do about this.

Lies. I started and finished the game on DOSBox (one of the 0.7's I think) and the game did NOT crash in CV's realm. I don't know what settings (both for DOSBox and the game) they were using, but it's definitely not a "for sure". Then again I was running it in 3dfx mode, don't know if this has something to do with it (but then... why wouldn't you run it in 3dfx mode?)

Also, there's very little play you need to do with configuration. In fact I don't think I had to change anything from my usual config...

In any case, if you do run it in Glide mode, don't get too enthusiastic and run the game at 1024x768. While it'll run fine at 1280x1024 if you have a powerful system, lots of static shots (like loading screen) will not load at the latter res and you'll be staring at a black screen instead (though this doesn't crash or freeze the game)

Reply 5 of 6, by Drowning witch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys. just registered to comment on the wrong info in the elder scrolls wiki regarding redguard in dosbox. I will try to edit the page, but no idea if it will be accepted since I am not a trusted member. not even sure how that stuff works, so If anyone wo has credibility on the wiki page could edit the error, it would help future redguard players 😀

I just finished the game using dosbox wirthout any issues.

these are the steps I used to setup dosbox for redguard on win7 64bit.

1.install redguard normally 2.get this version of dosbox http://ykhwong.x-y.net/xe/dosbox_data 3. delete glide2x file from dosbo […]
Show full quote

1.install redguard normally
2.get this version of dosbox http://ykhwong.x-y.net/xe/dosbox_data
3. delete glide2x file from dosbox folder
4. Download and install nGlide
5.Edit dosbox.conf (set memsize=63 and fullscreen=true and add this to [autoexec] section):

mount c c:\games
imgmount e c:\games\redguard\redguard2.cue -t iso

this way the fmv's work, obvioulsy directory structure is relative.

for the sound, i opened "setsound.exe" from within dosbox, disabled midi and selected soundblaster for digital sound.

Reply 6 of 6, by Drowning witch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

as expected, somebody already deleted my wiki edit...

kinda sucks that this will most likely put of many people from playing the game thinking that it crashes and cannot be completed..