VOGONS

First post, by Shalmendo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, so Tekwar is a great game and all, but I miss the cutscenes!

Basically, all of the Tekwar cut-scenes are subject to SEVERE lag and stuttering to the point the movie is completely un-viewable and makes shatner's acting actually seem better then it really was.

So far, I've done alot of digging and gotten no real info except for one forum where somone asked similar, then their next post was 'oh fixed it' without any real indication of how.

The only real info I could find was somone mentioning in the dosbox channel logs that auto and max cycle options break the cutscenes, which is true.

By setting it to a manual cycle, of about 7,000 it seems to enable the scenes to play through nicely for the first couple. But after actually loading into the game world, the 7,000 cycles isn't enough so i have to pump it up to several times that amount, roughly 70,000 or so. However, on subsequent scenes, it's all horribly stuttery again and no amount of cycle adjustment fixes it. It's as if loading into the game world permanently breaks it.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue or fixing it? (IT doesn't look like dosbox is very active anymore, either, but i'm hoping I can get a fix for it somehow)

EDIT: Further testing has revealed that pumping the cycles too high during a single run causes the custscenes to break, not the loading into the gameworld. I was able to load into the gameworld without touching the cycles (Which left it horribly laggy) then aborted mission, but got yelled at by shatner in full framerate. So apparently, there's some kind of threshold where the cutscenes will stop rendering properly if the cycles go up too high, even if they're brought back down.

Reply 1 of 4, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Fixed" with the Ykhwong's build.
cputype=auto, cycles=max.
Run the Dosbox, then disable the "auto cycles" checkbox in the CPU menu.
Another error - sometimes the audio is 0.5-1 sec late in the cutscenes. Still don't find the cause of this...

Reply 3 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The stuttering seems to be related to SB sound. With default settings in DOSBox, if the game is configured for SBPro digital sound the stuttering of the Smacker movies is eliminated on my system. I hear a metronomic soft popping sound in the right channel, so not a perfect solution, but I think it's easier to live with than the stuttering.

All of the HMI drivers for SB, SBPro, or SB16 with 8-bit mono output seem to be affected by the stuttering, and manually tweaking the HMISET.CFG to use an 8-bit stereo driver cures the stuttering but introduces the right channel popping. For example, if you configure the game for SB16 it uses driver ID = 0xe015 (SB16 8-bit mono), and changing that to 0xe016 (SB16 8-bit stereo) produces a similar result to configuring the game for SBPro.

The HMI drivers have a reputation for being problematic in some (but not all) games...

Reply 4 of 4, by Shalmendo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fantastic! That fixed the issue, and I don't care about the popping.

I never thought that the sound configuration might be the problem. I've certainly learned something!

Okay, so running it on default settings, auto cpu, auto cycles, etc works fine, as long as i use the SbPro in the sound config, default settings.

I had been using Ultrasound, but apparently that also causes the problem, Just so people are aware.

I didn't edit the cfg but the scenes still run perfectly. Thank god! I spent a couple years searching for answers as I was too shy to join the forums and get a direct answer.

Let's hope this gets archived so anyone who has this problem can look it up and fix it.

Thanks a lot for your input! I might be posting again soon to continue working on my Nostalgia Project. (Basically i'm trying to get ahold of all these old DOS games from my childhood, as well as my brothers and sister, and put them together on a flash drive or other media, so they can easily just play them and experience the nostalgia. It's taking me years 🤣.)