VOGONS

First post, by freenachos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ran the setup.exe just fine, got the sound to work great, but then when i run fifa.exe it just crashes out immediately. I suspect video settings, but i have no idea where to begin. Thanks!

Reply 1 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The game needs cputype=386_prefetch in the DOSBox settings.

FYI, there is a game compatibility list where you could have found this solution:
http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=97

Reply 3 of 9, by Glitchologteam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

if you own the Gold Edition of the game, you will not be able to heard music ingame even if you can heard it on the music test in the setup. I suspect its a bug in the game itself but I cannot test it on a true DOS computer since I don't own one.

Reply 4 of 9, by The_Pope

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't get the music to play on Wave Blaster! Or AWE32. SFX does play on AWE32 and of course, there is no Wave Blaster option for SFX.
This is on 0.74 with a Toshiba laptop, sporting a Realtek HD Audio codec like many others. What could be the problem here?

Stop the world...I want to descend.

Reply 5 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I suggest choosing "Sound Blaster 16" for the "SFX Card In Use", as that's the default in DOSBox.

For General MIDI music I guess "Roland SSC1" is the closest option, although "Wave Blaster" might be OK, too.

In CONFIG.EXE select "Change Music Defaults." and change the values to:

IO Address 0330h
IRQ -1
DMA Channel -1
DMA IRQ -1

I suspect a wrong IO Address is most of the problem.

Reply 7 of 9, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another one ressurected!

Has anyone succeded in running this game using the SB16 for SFX, but using MUNT + Roland configuration for music?
It doesn't give any option to change the card other than dosbox's SB16 (maybe because the config doesn't detect any other hardware present?)
Manually settings the "music defaults" to the values two posts above isn't accepted either, it returns a message of "hardware not responding or similar.

Now for a long shot, I saw in the fifa.cfg entries in the form of
SFX 14,0220h,07,01,-1
MUSIC 14,0220h,07,01,-1

for the SB16. It seems that "14" refers to SB16. Maybe if we knew the correct number for the Roland/GM we could edit it in the .cfg? It has a lot possibilities I believe. Someone with real hardware to provide us with that number?

Reply 8 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The config program defaults to SB16 for sfx and music, but you can select any of the other options. Just change the "Music Card In Use" to "Roland LAPC1", then "Change Music Defaults" to the ones I listed in my previous comment. Perhaps the game actually does use the extra sounds of an LAPC-1 (CM-32L), but it sounds OK to me on an MT-32.

When you say the config program isn't giving you other options, I'm wondering if you're simply not understanding how to change to other options. Highlight the "Music Card In Use" and press the left/right cursor keys to change the selection.

If for some reason you're not able to change the music card in the config program, you can manually edit FIFA.CFG to:

SFX 14,0220h,07,01,-1
MUSIC 01,0330h,-1,-1,-1

Reply 9 of 9, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ripsaw8080 wrote:

When you say the config program isn't giving you other options, I'm wondering if you're simply not understanding how to change to other options. Highlight the "Music Card In Use" and press the left/right cursor keys to change the selection.

OK, I'm officially stupid. Who the hell came up with this UI, without even writing it somewhere...
I was of course navigating to "Music Card In Use" and then pressing enter-space-the option number, everything I could think of (except left & right) and I was waiting for a menu to popup for me to select the card as it works for the rest of the options.

But how did you think that I may be that stupid and mention the cursor keys? 😁
Thanks!