VOGONS

First post, by Triver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I know you dont support DosPad here but since it is based on the 0.74 version of DosBox I can't imagine a better place to ask for help (the DosPad development is practically dead).

So when I try to execute Hocus.exe he gives me this message instead of starting the game:

Cannot open file [DB]

Could it be that he cant access some files because he has no permission to do so? The same files run fine on the PC version btw.

If you cant help me here I hope that you can tell me at least if this is a DosBox specific message or not.

Thanks in advance 😀

Last edited by Triver on 2012-05-28, 15:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's from the game and most likely because you are not using tge same mountings as when you installed the game.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 7, by Triver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had configured it but it was still the configuration from the pc (which shouldn't make a difference).

So I tried to delete the configuration file by using "del hocus.sav" and he said "Unable to delete hocus.sav". Then I removed it manually with a terminal and tried to run the setup.exe from DosPad.

After "saving" the settings he said "Run HOCUS to play. Null pointer assignment".

So I guess it has something to do with file access rights after all? But the files should be modifieable from everyone, the permissions are set to 0777 so I can't imagine what the problem could be.

Maybe I'll try the DosPad forum anyway since it seems like an application specific problem (except one of you could give me some more tipps of course 😉 )

Reply 4 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Same mountings as on pc should work if the file access is correct for every file and not just the folder

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

To troubleshoot give us your exact mountings and commands on the pc and the same for dospad

Reply 6 of 7, by Triver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok this is embarrassing, I actually overlooked that some of the files in the DosPad folder had only root permissions so it's not wonder it didn't work.

After giving the mobile user access to them it started without any problems though its rather laggy. Setting the cycles to 5000-6000 seems to improve it but its still not that good and any higher values (or max) make it only worse.

I guess its no surprise since its only a beta port to a portable device but to be honest I expected it to be somewhat better.
I'll try some other games and see how good/fast they are.

Reply 7 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Glad you figured it out 😉
Dosbox is a demanding emulator, so dospad is as demanding and the ipad is not such a strong device. Coupled wih it being an ARM device performance is expected to be worse than on a PC with the same GHz number ;(
Nothing to be done about it...