VOGONS

First post, by Nowhere Girl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use D-Fend Reloaded and like it very much. Recently I also downloaded Scumm VM for the few games which I couldn't run with Dosbox ("Putt Putt Goes to the Moon", 1992 version of "Mother Goose"). I use Scumm VM with D-Fend Reloaded since I prefer having all my games in the same place. However, I can't run "Gold Rush" with either program.
Other Sierra AGI games I have - "King's Quest" 2 and 4 (I'm a proud owner of both "King's Quest 4" versions), "Black Cauldron" - work without problems, but I'm unable to get "Gold Rush" to run either with D-Fend Reloaded (Dosbox) itself or with Scumm VM + D-Fend.

Reply 2 of 12, by Nowhere Girl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But it's not that easy to say...
D-Fend Reloaded: the window just shuts and a message pops up saying that Dosbox was terminated prematurily.
D-Fend Reloaded + Scumm VM: the game window shuts, the status window remains... but I just can't write it ALL down! It says an AGI plugin could help, but when looking for such a thing on the Web I only found ones for Android and mobile phones (my mobile won't handle a game more sophisticated than "Snake" - I enjoy being different and still use a black-and-green Nokia).
I've been advised to try running the game with Scumm VM alone. Result similar as with option 1 - a message says the game stopped working.
Are there different versions of this particular game? I remember "King's Quest 2" not running, then I deleted it and downloaded again and voila - must have been a different version because even the file list wasn't identical. However, at least in terms of file names (I've been advised elsewhere to check md5sum, but I don't know what it is) all "Gold Rush" downloads I have seen are the same version.

Reply 3 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

i have seen this game running in DOSBox so maybe your version is simply corrupt?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nowhere Girl wrote:

However, at least in terms of file names (I've been advised elsewhere to check md5sum, but I don't know what it is) all "Gold Rush" downloads I have seen are the same version.

File names don't mean anything. Even if you can't compare md5 sums, you should at least check if the different files have the same size.

It does sound quite likely that you have found a corrupt version. Generally this forum only supports games that are installed from their original disks, since as you can see, things downloaded from random sites on the Internet can easily have other problems that have nothing to do with DOSBox.

Reply 6 of 12, by Nowhere Girl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot - sometimes I can't notice obvious things. I paid so much attention to file names that I didn't notice all are at least displayed as "0 KB". What the heck? - the very availability of such a "version" puzzles me. Thank you anyway.
Could someone familiar with Scumm VM help me with another problem? As I've mentioned, I have two games which don't want to work in Dosbox, but work in Scumm VM. Scumm VM has a different screenshot capture key combination, bot I don't think it's relevant itself - maybe rather some small D-Fend/Scumm compatibility problem. Anyway, all screenshot thumbnails look the same - precisely, like the last edited one. The screenshots themselves are OK, but all thumbnails display as the same one. It makes screenshot selection less comfortable...
Most simple tricks (which work for example for thumbnails in folders) like refreshing the images have no result here.

Reply 7 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Again you might have downloaded a version that is meant for ScummVM (with missing executables or other files)? GOG.com also sells some games packaged with ScummVM and you can't get these to run in DOSBox because of missing files.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nowhere Girl wrote:

Most simple tricks (which work for example for thumbnails in folders) like refreshing the images have no result here.

Once again: What tricks have you tried? What thumbnails are you referring to, anyway?

Reply 9 of 12, by Nowhere Girl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

D-Fend Reloaded has a "gallery" for the current game underneath the game list and I mean the thumbnails there. I haven't tried other methods besides refreshing, but I'm just not that versed in tricks, I just know it works if thumbnails in ordinary folders don't display correctly.

Reply 10 of 12, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

why are you using d-fend with scummvm? It already has a gui. And recent versions of scummvm won't allow a game to be called from command line unless the game was first added to the scummvm front end.

Simply launch scummvm, hit "add game" , and then browse to the folder that gold rush is in. Do not actually go into the folder, just highlight the folder game, and hit add. The game will be detected and scummvm will launch it perfectly fine.

This may also fix d-fend launching it, as now the game will be in the scummvm.ini file, which allows it to be called via command line.

Reply 11 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think ScummVM rejects the cracked version of Gold Rush!. Besides the legality of it, the game is still sold by its developers:

http://www.softwarefarm.com/gr_home.htm

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers