VOGONS

First post, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently got the GOG release of Carmageddon and have been trying to figure out how to get the thing to play nicely on my system, as every combination of graphics settings and DOSBox settings I can think of results in less than ideal framerates, which has me really confused since I have played the game on a P120 before at 30+ FPS, and yet the best I can do in DOSBox without using the 3DFX mode is about 12 FPS at 320x200 resolution, 6 FPS at 640x480, and about 10 FPS using the 3DFX mode.

As such, the game's only somewhat playable. :/

I've been reading up on things and have discovered that Carmageddon is horribly unoptimized, but I still find it weird that I can play Descent II in 640x480 mode with max detail settings at a decent framerate, but can't get Carmageddon anywhere near that. I also find it weird that some of the posts I've read on various forums suggest that people can get perfect framerates in the 3DFX mode using various builds of DOSBox, a couple of whom had similar or worse specs to myself, so I'm stumped as to why I can't exceed 10 FPS in the 3DFX mode on my system.

My main system is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core running at 2.0 GHz and my video card is a GeForce 9800 GT.

All that said though, even if I can get the 3DFX mode working nicely, I can't seem to record footage with it, as attempting to do so just crashes DOSBox. :(

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 4 of 17, by [Zeus]

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

12 FPS at 320x200 resolution, 6 FPS at 640x480, and about 10 FPS using the 3DFX mode.

Gemini000 wrote:

I've been reading up on things and have discovered that Carmageddon is horribly unoptimized

Feel the REAL power of "unoptimization". 😵

Gemini000 wrote:

I also find it weird that some of the posts I've read on various forums suggest that people can get perfect framerates in the 3DFX mode using various builds of DOSBox, a couple of whom had similar or worse specs to myself.

It's impossible.
You need a Sandy/Ivy at 3.8 GHz or faster to get a decent framerate in 3Dfx mode.

Gemini000 wrote:

I can't seem to record footage with it, as attempting to do so just crashes DOSBox. 🙁

nGlide uses DirectX 9, FRAPS should do the trick.

Reply 5 of 17, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can play it fine in software mode on my oldish Pentium Dual-Core (not to be confused with Pentium D) rig and my Athlon II x2, but yeah in 3DFX mode it sometimes even manages to choke on my Alienware laptop, which has a first-gen Core i5 at 2.53GHz.

If you want good speed on a lesser system, I highly recommend using the Windows patch. http://www.gog.com/forum/carmageddon/experime … _95_patch/page1 Be aware though, it is reported to be unstable on some systems, though it ran well for me on my laptop.

Reply 6 of 17, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've managed to get it running mostly OK in 320x200 in DOSBox. Sometimes the framerate dies, but for the most part it's playable, though nowhere near as good as on a real Pentium DOS machine.

Still when it comes time to record footage for ADG, at least I can just boost the cycles beyond what my system can handle and record a higher framerate than I can actually play the game at... even though it'll be going super-slow while actually doing it. ;)

Yes, that's how I get the high-FPS footage of the more graphically intensive games for my show. Sometimes it can take 5 minutes to record just a minute and a half of footage. :o

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 7 of 17, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you ever need some high quality captures from a real DOS system, just PM me and I might be able to help you out.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 8 of 17, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tried reinstalling nGlide on top of GOG's b0rked version? Their bundled nGlide doesn't even include the configuration utility.
I get decent framerates in 3dfx mode at 1280x1024, not silky-smooth but definitely playable (this on a Core2 Duo E7300 @ 2.66GHz).

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 11 of 17, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why you name Win95 version as the patch, by the way? IIRC, even the first Carmageddon release is having two versions - DOS and Win95. This is the separate version w/o need for the DOS version...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 12 of 17, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:

Why you name Win95 version as the patch, by the way? IIRC, even the first Carmageddon release is having two versions - DOS and Win95. This is the separate version w/o need for the DOS version...

It's because the Win95 executable IS actually packaged as a patch for the GoG version. 😜 For whatever reason they didn't see fit to bundle it standard like they should have.

Reply 13 of 17, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have the Good Old Games version of Carmageddon, I have the original discs of Carmageddon and The Splat Pack!, and on my old Compaq laptop (2GHz Windows XP, 1GB RAM, 32MB ATI Mobility Radeon 7500), Carmageddon runs too slowly in 3dfx mode (using nGliide). It's the only thing I've tried that's too slow in DOSBox. So I use Carmageddon in Windows with the high-res mode instead, which doesn't look as nice as the 3dfx mode, but it sill great to look at, and plays at proper speed.

On my desktop, and newer laptop the DOSBox + 3dfx Carmageddon combination runs fine, but it's my old laptop that accompanies me to work, and for that I'm happy with the high res non-3dfx mode.

Still, whatever mode you play it in, it's a great game, isn't it? People who don't play/like it think it's only popular because you can run pedestrians over, but in fact that gets boring after a while - the real reasons the game is so popular are (a) the feeling of freedom to go *wherever* you on the level, and (b) the great physics that really make you feel like you're there when you wreck an opponents car by ramming them.

Edit: Forgot to say, don't forget that in software mode (non-3dfx mode) you can press + and - to increase/reduce the size of the screen's border (larger borders = smaller display size on screen = less work for the PC to do = game runs faster, though on any PC that's a P3 or above (I'd estimate, loosely) the game should run at full speed in software mode even with the graphics at full speed?).

Reply 14 of 17, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny, -hires switch is proclaimed as DOS only in the game manual. But "carm95.exe -hires" is working like a charm. "+" and "-" keys are working in the Windows version too.
Unfortunately windows version is bugged on all ATi Radeon HD cards (textures are shifted if the triangle vertex is nearer then view plane). But the glitch isn't too heavy.

Another IMHO - windows version is more easy. Opponents are wasted faster... 😀

Reply 15 of 17, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:

Another IMHO - windows version is more easy. Opponents are wasted faster... 😀

Probably due to timing issues. You'll see that the clock goes down way faster too.

Reply 16 of 17, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, the in-race timer is working ok with "carm95.exe -hires".

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 17 of 17, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:

No, the in-race timer is working ok with "carm95.exe -hires".

Depending on how powerful your CPU is, it should be fine. It was fine up to my old P4 HT.