VOGONS

First post, by jalisco.3k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been trying everything to get Dosbox to work with tasm. I have referenced different search engines: Google, Bing, Yahoo, and searched through youtube.

I know most people don't use tasm or learn 16-bit assembler anymore, but I am taking a course =) And, it's what we use in our labs (some of our labs have XP on them, just for older software). I do not have any 32-bit OS at home, so thus I need to use some form of emulation.

I can download tasm no problems, but installing with dosbox doesn't seem to work at all. No matter what I try, I continually get "too many subdirectories" error message, and the only option is to escape.

I have tried copying the downloading files directly into the dosbox directory, and installing from there. No dice. I tried mounting the install files on a different location as the destination, again no dice.

If anyone can either confirm or deny that I am wasting my time or that it can work, please point me in the correct direction. Or, any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

In summation, I need some emulation to run tasm (Borland assembly), on a 64-bit system. It has to be tasm, because that is what we are using in class, and many of our examples rely on it, e. g. macros that we use =/ I already tried using other assembler programs, but it got complicated really fast, without the spoon feed macros =)

Thank you in advance.
Jalisco

Reply 2 of 13, by jalisco.3k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info.

I haven't ruled out that I am making some silly error, that no one else has done =/ Because, I have not found so much info on my particular error.

I will keep plugging.

Reply 4 of 13, by jalisco.3k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is what I just tried:
1. Dosbox installed, and launches and appears to function as expected, so I will assume this part is correct (in C:\dosbox\ directory}
2. copied the tasm installer into the C:\dropbox\ directory...as well) The C:\dosbox directory has the following:
\Dosbox-0.74
\users
\tasm

3. I created a folder named "tasm5" in my C:\ directory
4. I mounted as d c:\dosbox\
5. I mounted e c:\tasm5\
6. move to d:, browse to tasm, and type install.exe.
7. I select the source of the installer d: (c:\dosbox\tasm)
8. and the destination of the installation e: (c:\tasm5)
--"too many subdirectories: Press esc"

After I escape, I can observe that within the folder i created, there is a new folder created by the installer named "tasm5", so inside of c:\tasm5\tasm5", 5 other new directories are created (all empty): bin, doc, examples, include, and lib.

Reply 6 of 13, by jalisco.3k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying a different installer, this one has three clear disks. So, since I can't figure out how to "insert disk 2" (and 3, subsequently), I just copied all the files into a single directory, so the installer could always find them.

Ultimately, I get to the same place: "too many subdirectories."

I am keeping a record of this, and my steps, in the hope that either a. someone can help me, or b. this can help someone else in the future.

Reply 7 of 13, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Your mountings are unconventional, and remember that under typical conditions the installer was originally used to install from a floppy drive to a hard drive. I suspect your c:\dosbox folder has multiple subdirectories that a floppy would not, and that is the source of the installer's complaint.

mount a c:\dosbox\tasm -t floppy
mount c c:\tasm5
a:
install

Take the default install directory of C:\TASM, or change it to C:\TASM5, but do NOT change it to C:\

FYI, you can hold Alt-F12 for unlocked cycles during the installation process to make it go faster.

Reply 8 of 13, by jalisco.3k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks..

tried it, but got the same error. Really starting to think it's a windows pro 64-bit error.

did exactly as suggested...installing from a, to both default c:\tasm, and tried also c:\tasm5

always same error message: "too many subdirectories"

Reply 9 of 13, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Doesn't seem likely to be a 64bit Windows problem; I'd expect a lot more reports of problems with file and folder operations if that was the case. Make sure DOSBox has access rights to create / write / delete files and subfolders on the folder you're mounting as the C drive. Could be that your installation files are bad or incomplete.

Reply 11 of 13, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

copy all of the files from all three disks to a single directory on your hard disk. mount that directory as your root directory.
then run install.exe.
it will ask "enter the source drive to use", select "C"
it will ask "enter the source path", select "\"
then start the installation.
you'll end up with a "tasm" directory under the directory where you copied the files.
I still use TASM in DOSBox for my 16-bit needs.

Reply 12 of 13, by jalisco.3k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for all the help!

finally got it to work. =)

These are the steps I used, though not sure if they were required or not.
1. got a different installer, that had borland assembler on 3 (floppy) disks.
2. I copied the contents of the three disks to one folder.
3. then did as recommended, used that one folder as a mounted a: drive.
4. then, what appeared to be necessary, was to mount TO c:\
then it worked.

thanks for the help. =)