VOGONS

First post, by Brahms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see that X-COM:TFTD is on the supported game list, so I'm assuming that people have had success getting it to run-hopefully someone can tell me what settings I need to change to make it work.

Unlike some previous issues with this game (the locked mouse, for example), this doesn't seem dependant on having sound enabled or not-I've gone through the setup program and disabled the sound to no avail. When I attempt to run the game, the little pre-game text about sound configuration comes up, and then right when the intro should load DOSBox quits and boots me back to windows. Unfortunetely it quits so fast I don't get much of a look at the console output, but it looks like it says something about an unhandled opcode . Has anyone else had this problem? Running DOSBox .60 under Windows XP

Reply 1 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yeah. Dosbox 0.60 is suffering from this problem. In fact dosbox itself only suffered from this error one day. Unfortunate that was the day 0.60 was released.

You could try to disable dpmi.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 16, by Brahms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Which then leads me to my next question (off topic alert!): is there any easy way to compile the CVS under windows without visual C? I've built stuff under linux before, but this is completely new to me.

Ideally of course, someone might have a prebuilt binary of it somewhere... 🙄

Reply 6 of 16, by Brahms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ahhh! I've got the latest CVS and I still get the same problem. The debugger outputs the following:

Fatal signal: Floating Point Exception (SDL Parachute Deployed)

Ack! If someone else has this working, could you tell me what settigns you are using in your .conf file?

Reply 9 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm curious. How did you configure Xcom ?
It looks like You used some weird sound device.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 16, by Brahms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Original was SoundBlaster 220/7/1, same as the settings in my config file. I then configured X-COM to run with no sound device at all, no difference. It sounds to me like it's an FPU problem, though I have no idea why or how to fix it.

Reply 11 of 16, by drew24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having a problem running TFTD as well, whenever i try to run it through DOSBox it tells me illeagal command:d:\sound.something and
illegal command d:\ufoexe\black or something to that effect .... i have no idea what is wrong.

2800+ AMD athalon
windows XP
nvidia geforce 4MX
256MB Ram

Reply 12 of 16, by redniels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

just curious: why are you still using .60??????
.61 runs my original cds for UFO and TFTD FLAWLESS....
(and they are still very addicting...)

Reply 14 of 16, by Silencer131

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure if that helps you but X-COM 1 and 2 were released as Windows version too. With some patches that usually comes along with it you can get it to work in XP (Win98 anyway).