VOGONS

Fable (1996) Issues

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by RawX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, as the title says I've been playing Fable (1996) on many different kinds of dosboxes and a lot of the time I'll be doing something and it will freeze and force me to do a hard reboot of dosbox losing my saves 😒 It's really starting to get annoying, I use the original CD I had ripped from the img is perfect and works 100% on normal DOS but I haven't had a dos computer to use it on lately. Any ideas how to fix this issue? I run around 6500-9000 cycles tried lower and it does it more often, frame skip is set to 5 (any more than 5 the game becomes glitched) Normally I just tinker with settings to get it to work but I've had no luck with this game. And rebooting and reloading the .cue file over and over gets very tiresome. Got any ideas?

Reply 1 of 9, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have no idea on how to cure your crashes, but you can at least skip mounting the .cue and such by hand with a conf file.
Dosbox.exe -conf <c:\somewhere\myconf.conf>
Obviously sans the <>.

Last edited by bloodbat on 2013-02-10, 02:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by RawX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do mount it by hand instead of config with the config it tends to have issues with dosbox not accepting the .cue file or it working but without sound 😒 dosbox seems to have quite a few flaws with its mounting system, I've messed around and made a UI for mounting though that speeds it up quite a bit for me. It gets annoying in the middle of a long ass quest then boom "let me show you the story of my people" aka crash 😜

Reply 3 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please report what problems you had with mountings with a simple step by step otherwise it will remain buggy..,

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 9, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RawX wrote:

like I said it works just crashes at random times for no reason, and I'm not entirely sure if I can set the ram above 64mb?

You can't in the official DOSBox, but in Yhkwong's version and some others a patch is applied that allows for larger RAM settings.

I've generally found DOSBox's mounting commands to work fairly well. I'd be a bit more suspicious of the cue/img.

Reply 7 of 9, by RawX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the cd I can just re rip it? I have the same issue with the cd itself as well though so I really don't think its the rip. I've "tried" other versions to test them and they have the same issue, have you ever played this game? And yeah I was noticing that, I moved it to 128mb and other games play much smoother now but isnt that beyond the limit dos should even be able to use? o.o