VOGONS

First post, by mstvsky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I run win3.11eng under DOSbox. I've installed Russian fonts and keyboard, but still I see mojibake instead of Russian text. What should I change?

Reply 1 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Russian Windows 3.11 perhaps?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 19, by mstvsky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope. I need to work with Russian texts in English version of Windows. I don't want to explain why. I'm just asking the question.

Installing fonts and keyboard for Windows appears not enough. I guess I should set something in dosbox.conf, maybe keyboardlayout= or language=. May be it has to do with text encoding, but I have no idea about it.

Reply 6 of 19, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If this approach doesn't work, you might try some of the Cyrillic support programs such as those formerly offered by Fingertip Software:

http://www.fingertipsoft.com/download.html

If memory serves, these are only 45-day trials, but it might be sufficient for your needs. Note that Win 3.11 is specifically supported in earlier versions.

Reply 7 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mstvsky wrote:

How can I make DOSbox perform config.sys of the guest system?

In some cases you can use a command line program like DEVLOAD to load device drivers, making a config.sys completely unnecessary.

Otherwise, you will need to boot DOS within DOSBox, as in Install DOS in DOSBox , for example. This technique has the disadvantage of preventing mounted directories from being accessed, however.

Reply 8 of 19, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mstvsky wrote:

How can I make DOSbox perform config.sys of the guest system?

Hm, as already written, it is not officially implemented, but if the game is nice it would accept a fake config.sys file in its emulated C: drive as well.

Klimawandel.

Reply 9 of 19, by mstvsky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for participating in my challenge!

Ok, clear. I would not touch config.sys. I thought that there are some language settings in config.sys that I need to be performed in order to solve my goal.

As I wrote in the head post, I need to work with Russian texts on English Windows. I see two ways how to achive this.

1. Install English version of Windows and make it somehow compatible with Russian texts.
It has appeared not enough to just install Russian fonts and keyboard. I guess I have to change some encoding setting in one of those files: dosbox.conf, win.ini, system.ini. Changing language and keyboardlayout in dosbox.conf doesn't help as well.

2. Install Russian version of Windows and switch it's interface to English one.
Russian Windows works OK with Russian texts. But I still need Windows to look English. Changing "Language" within "International" settings window doesn't help.

Any advises?

Reply 10 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

So if it works with russian Win3.x then look through the system.ini and win.ini of the russian Windows and try to find what might be responsible for displaying russian text. Then try putting the russian files. Into the English Windows. Probably a lot trial and error until you got it right. Good luck 😉

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mstvsky wrote:

As I wrote in the head post, I need to work with Russian texts on English Windows.

Did you ever have this working on a "real" computer without using DOSBox? Or is this something you're attempting for the first time?

If your programs still run under Windows XP, you would probably be much better off using Windows XP in a virtual machine.

Reply 12 of 19, by mstvsky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Using hit-and-miss I've figured out that Russian text ability depends on "device=" string in [windows] section of WIN.INI. It was filled with "device=Generic / Text Only,TTY,LPT1:". And since I removed everything after equal mark — IT WORKS! In both Russian and English versions of Windows!!!

Thank you all 😎

PS: this string sets printer used by default. Depending on what is set here, it affects on fonts somehow.

Last edited by mstvsky on 2013-03-14, 14:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

yeah!!!!

Reply 14 of 19, by mstvsky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Russian Windows 3.11 perhaps?

Perhaps YES! But here I've met a new challenge: macros don't work in Russian Winword 2.0.

I have:
DOSbox 0.74,
Windows 3.11fwg Russian
Winword 2.0 Russian,
Winword 2.0 English,
Custom .dot containing macros, which are not made by me and i can't change them.

Those macros work only in following conditions:
1. Within "Internetional" setting, decimal separator is "." .
2. Using Winword 2.0 English.

With any other combinations of international settings and language version of word, I get an error message on starting macros: "this is not a valid measurement".
Any ideas, guys?

Reply 15 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mstvsky wrote:

Those macros work only in following conditions:
1. Within "Internetional" setting, decimal separator is "." .

Are you referring to another setting in Winword, or a setting in a Windows control panel?

Reply 16 of 19, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mstvsky wrote:

Using hit-and-miss I've figured out that Russian text ability depends on "device=" string in [windows] section of WIN.INI. It was filled with "device=Generic / Text Only,TTY,LPT1:". And since I removed everything after equal mark — IT WORKS! In both Russian and English versions of Windows!!!

Thank you all 😎

PS: this string sets printer used by default. Depending on what is set here, it affects on fonts somehow.

It's logical...the fonts are there but Windows knows that some of those devices can't use them.

Reply 18 of 19, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Truetype fonts only work in Windows 3.x after installing a printer driver. (The printer doesn't have to exist physically.) Maybe this applies only to some applications like WinWord. The printer probably has to be able to print the TrueType font so any graphical printer should be ok.

WordBasic (used in WinWord 2.0) was localized, i.e. the language (or at least APIs) were translated into other languages, see eg. http://www.multilingualblog.com/?tag=wordbasic
I don't know if this was done for Russian.

Reply 19 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure why you're bumping this. The macros are obviously setting page margins or tab stops or something using numbers that use "." as the decimal separator, such that if Word is only expecting numbers to be specified with a comma, it will reject a number containing a period as an invalid measurement.