VOGONS

First post, by wallstreetobserver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Running XP SP3. LEWP runs in XP, but not well. That is why I want to use DOSBox, but it will not run in DOSBox. When the program gets past the welcome screen it hangs as it tries to load the printer driver.

This is the same behavior it had when I would try to run it in 98se after booting directly into DOS. It ran fine in 98se when booted normally. I'm guessing that LEWP can't read the large hard drive in a full DOS mode.

Any help on configuring DOS Box would be appreciated.

Reply 1 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The problem is most likely loading the printer drivers, as you can't print in dosbox. By default dosbox emulates a small hard drive.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wallstreetobserver wrote:

This is the same behavior it had when I would try to run it in 98se after booting directly into DOS. It ran fine in 98se when booted normally.

Were you using some sort of USB-to-parallel port device at the time? That is something that would definitely only work in 98SE when booted normally but not when booting directly to DOS.

If that is the case then you will need an SVN build (such as ykhwong's build) that supports parallel port emulation.

Reply 3 of 5, by justdroppingin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wallstreetobserver wrote:

Any help on configuring DOS Box would be appreciated.

Although I can't help you with DOSBox and LEWP, I managed to get LEWP to work in VirtualBox with a DOS 6.22 install. I had to read through the install.bat, i2.bat, and i3.bat files to figure out what those files were doing, because installation would not complete normally. This involves copying and renaming files to make a working disc. I did this copying and renaming myself in Windows, putting those files into a new directory, and then made a floppy image of that directory. I copied the contents of that disc (within DOS) to a directory I made on the C: drive in VirtualBox/DOS. Then I copied config.sys and print.exe from the DOS directory to the new "LEWP" directory I made; these are two files it tries to get you to put on the working disc, but that's not necessary. Go into that directory again, type "LE" and all should work.

Reply 5 of 5, by justdroppingin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did not know the OP was long gone, but I also thought that since I found this thread via a general web search regarding LEWP that others searching for a way to continue using it in an emulator would find my solve useful.