VOGONS

KQ6 problem

Topic actions

First post, by sambrea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm trying to run the GOG version of KQ6 for speedrunning and I'm having a problem where dosbox will just suddenly crash to the desktop without warning. I'm not sure what' causing this or how to fix it so if someone out there can help me, I'd be very glad of it.

Reply 1 of 21, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Speedrunning an adventure...that's odd.
Make sure you have the latest drivers for your hardware before going further.
Check the GOG forums to see if other people that bought the game experience the same crashes as you (and how to fix them, if they did).
Anyway, help people help you:
-OS
-DosBox version and configuration (specially video and cycles).
-Mountings.
-King's Quest configuration.
-Does it crash somewhere specifically? Or at random?
-Does it crash when starting from the beginning or only when loading a saved game?

Provide as much information as you can and as detailed as possible, otherwise...you won't get far.

Reply 2 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There should be some sort of error log in the main DOSBox directory, I think. [EDIT: It's called stderr.txt , and it only appears if DOSBox is started with -noconsole , which is standard for GOG's shortcuts.]

If you are taking pictures or recording movies, DOSBox will crash without warning if there is not enough space on the partition where it is trying to save the data. (I noted that three years ago, anyway.)

Last edited by Jorpho on 2013-05-20, 04:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can also rem out the exit line in the [autoexec] section of the game's conf file. This will keep DOSBox from closing when the game exits so you can read any error messages from the game.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 21, by sambrea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

-OS Windows 7 home edition
-DosBox version and configuration (specially video and cycles). .74, I've been playing around with the graphics configuration but nothing seems to fix it
-Mountings. ?
-King's Quest configuration. gog.com version
-Does it crash somewhere specifically? Or at random? Three separate times, once while starting to climb the cliffs of logic, once while on the isle of mists for the second time, and once in the secret passage of the castle
-Does it crash when starting from the beginning or only when loading a saved game? only specifically during those times, not while loading or starting the game

Reply 9 of 21, by sambrea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IIGS_User: I'm using the GOG version, which only has a graphics configurator, there is no mount listed there.

Jorpho no, I don't see that file, and yes I have plenty of free space available, around 75% free.

Reply 10 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The stderr.txt will probably be found in the game's folder or possibly in the Virtual Store.

Did you try to remove the "exit" command in the game's conf file? If it is the game crashing instead of DOSBox itself, you should see any error messages.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 15 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Then DOSBox itself is crashing, not the game. Try changing the conf to just:

[cpu]
core= normal
cycles= 10000

[autoexec]
cls
mount c .
c:
cd \
SIERRA.EXE .\RESOURCE.CFG
exit

And see if it still crashes.

Reply 16 of 21, by sambrea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I put that in, I get the box popping up that shows it's dosbox but the game doesn't load. Here's what it says originally (I saved it before trying that, thank goodness):

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
mount C "..\King's Quest 6"
c:
cls

I played it after adding that cpu section and it still crashed
sierra

Reply 17 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try uninstalling and doing a clean re-install. If it still crashes, I'll have to install GOG's version to see what may be going on.

Reply 19 of 21, by sambrea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After completely uninstalling (including saves) I did a quick run but it is still happening. If you want to see what I'm dealing with, I'm streaming some of my attempts, this is my latest full run with three separate crashes. The first one happens not long after 18:15.

http://www.twitch.tv/sambrea/b/417426241