VOGONS

3D Ultra Pinball 2: Creep Night

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I set up win 3.1 according to the guide Dominus has posted here, and then Ripsaw pointed out how to install a cd audio driver for the system.

So i installed 3D Ultra Pinball 2: Creep Night and it runs excellent, however I notice the CUE file denotes 2 audio tracks, and there is an option under preferences in the game to enable digital audio. When I click this option, it simply tells me that my system is not capable of running it.

I then loaded the CD up in windows, and played the tracks... and they sound like crazy jungle music.... Both audio tracks appear to be identical - 40 minutes of weird jungle music.... which would seem much more appropriate for 3D Ultra Pinball The Lost Continent, or something along those lines.

Anyone messed with this game and dealt with this?

Oh - I tried playing the audio tracks using the creative labs cd player, and it did work - so I know the cd audio driver is functioning properly.

Reply 2 of 23, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Excuse me? Screw you buddy, I own the game and ripped the game myself. Do you want me to take a picture of the bloody disk for you? You have *zero* reason to make such an assumption.

Here is your proof:
http://i.imgur.com/ABwAPIY.jpg

Going to stop acting like a punk now?

Reply 5 of 23, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The derailing aside, This game runs natively on x64 Windows. I do have a new installer to replace the original 16-bit installer. No emulator involved. However, it does not have the CD Audio tracks available in the game, either. This is a common problem with this era of games.

And dosquest, I usually make images of any of my games that require the disc for one reason or another to not have to keep risking any of my collection. For some games, it is the only way. Be careful of accusations.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 23, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

The derailing aside, This game runs natively on x64 Windows. I do have a new installer to replace the original 16-bit installer. No emulator involved. However, it does not have the CD Audio tracks available in the game, either. This is a common problem with this era of games.

Maybe _inmm can fix that...

Reply 7 of 23, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bloodbat wrote:

Maybe _inmm can fix that...

I had grabbed _inmm quite a while back to experiment with it for such things, but didn't have the time to explore it and then forgot it. I am currently involved with a couple of projects right now that take up all my spare time for such things, so it will not happen anytime soon, either.

Reply 9 of 23, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My CD does too and I can play them with Audiograbber, but the option is not available in game. I never even noticed the extra tracks before since there is still in-game music without it. It probably has to do with how modern Windows accesses optical drives verses the way 9x did. Perhaps something about ASPI? 3x would be using MSCDEX. The fact that you are using an image would bypass any issues with how the host machine interfaces with CD tracks. _inmm might worth exploring.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 10 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
exofreeze wrote:

I then loaded the CD up in windows, and played the tracks... and they sound like crazy jungle music.... Both audio tracks appear to be identical - 40 minutes of weird jungle music.... which would seem much more appropriate for 3D Ultra Pinball The Lost Continent, or something along those lines.

Well, do you happen to have a copy of The Lost Continent? Does it have a similar option that works correctly? (And does it, in fact, have the same audio tracks?) Maybe the devs had plans to include digital audio that were dropped at the last minute. It might be worth looking into before going nuts with _imm.dll.

The other possibility is, is there a demo version of something or other included on the CD?

Reply 11 of 23, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the same idea as Jorpho. The Redbook tracks are for the CyberGladiators Demo v1.0A which is included on the disk. The README for the demo indicates that you must "be sure to insert the demo CD into the drive before running this demo. If you don't, you won't hear any music while you play. Alternatively, you could insert your own music CD. This demo always plays the song found on track two."

The PB2.HLP file indicates the following with regard to the Digital Music:

Use Digital Music - Turns on 22MHz, 8-bit stereo music. Not recommended for computers with slow CD-ROM drives or slow processor speed.

The Large Install option installs everything EXCEPT the music.

Reply 12 of 23, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, it only has a single data track. You may be right about it being an unimplemented feature. As exofreeze notes, the two tracks sound the same, though are of slightly different lengths. This jungle music with the howling monkeys does not seem in character with the hunted house theme of the game. Some of the Dynamix CD-ROM games of the era, like Hunter Hunted, did allow you to use any music CD during game play if you did a full install.

There is nothing about the feature in the manual, but the help only has "Use Digital Music – Turns on 22MHz, 8-bit stereo music. Not recommended for computers with slow CD-ROM drives or slow processor speed." I no longer have a 9x machine to try it, but I wish someone with the game that has a functional 9x machine try it to see if the option works. If not, then you may be right about it not being full implemented

Reply 13 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
akula65 wrote:

Use Digital Music - Turns on 22MHz, 8-bit stereo music. Not recommended for computers with slow CD-ROM drives or slow processor speed.

Aha. So when it says the "system is not capable of running it", maybe it's doing a CD-speed check that fails because the drive is too fast? Fade To Black had the same problem.

In that case, maybe the DOSBox-X IDE emulation will help.

Reply 14 of 23, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Except that it does not work natively in Win7, either. I was wondering about a speed check. I have seen the Sierra setup CD-ROM speed test fail on modern PCs.

Reply 15 of 23, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As the following YouTube video demonstrates, the Redbook audio on the Creep Night CD corresponds to CD Track #8 on the full game disc for Cyber Gladiators:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0BB4_QTpMQ

And the Digital Audio option is available on my Win98 SE machine.

Reply 16 of 23, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And it's in Creep Night? This is the odd thing, that the option would be listed in the Creep Night settings, but the tracks are for the demo.

Edit, I just tried the CG demo on Win7 and it does play the music. Looks like those tracks were never intended for Creep Night.

Reply 17 of 23, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Exactly.

Based on what files are on the CD-ROM and what files get copied to the hard drive, I would guess that the Digital Music is stored somewhere in the RESOURCE.001 and RESOURCE.MAP files given the size of RESOURCE.001 (115 MB) and the fact that it is never copied to the hard drive regardless of the install size you choose.

Reply 18 of 23, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are also a number of midi files for in on the CD. I guess that I don't need to alter my installer, then. It does a full HDD install. Having to deal with Redbook audio would have thrown a wrinkle in that.

Reply 19 of 23, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I don't see why we are all freaking out, but usually when I see cue files I assume that it's a bin and cue from a cd rip, also I would like to contact an administrator about a message I received.

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.