VOGONS

Jones in the fast lane CD version

Topic actions

First post, by SoundGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.
I've been trying to run Jones in the fastlane CD versino in both DosBox and VDMSound
on both it says "Unable to initialize audio hardware"
then, in dosbox it crashes with "Exit to error: CPU:GRP5:Illegal Call 7"
VDMS crashes too.

Same thing runs ok on a Win98 machine.
but i really want to run it on my win2k machine, with DOSBox

Help please.

Reply 3 of 21, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried running it without sound? I got the same error message on other Sierra games due to my processor speed was too high and it seems there was a timer issue in Sierra's SB driver. Look for a replacement driver. Check sierra ftp or do a Google search. I think this topic has been discussed several times on these forums too. I have also heard of people swapping Sierra's Sound Drivers between similar games (circa of the same time). I hope this will help you.

Reply 4 of 21, by SoundGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm..
Yes, running it without sound (digital audio) makes it run, i mean i can still head beutifull MT-32 music, but then i entirely miss the point in playing the CD version over the regular one.
The AudBlast.drv file size is 32K i tried looking at all my other sierra game's drivers. no other AudBlast.drv is that size. But i did try to copy over one from several of them. none worked.
about the CPU speed, i ran Dosbox with 1800 CPU cycles, even though i saw some config with 4000, and tryed changing it to 4000. it acts the same.
I do know for a fact that this specific .drv file is ok and not corrupted because, as i said it runs ok on my win98 comp.

Reply 5 of 21, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know what you mean.
I've had a similar problem with an audblast.drv file from Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist CD Talkie from sierra that doesn't work in DosBox and is completely static.
No Matter What I Do.
It's based somewhere between the Soundblaster Emulation and Sierra's Code.
Yet I've tried everything I know and every suggestion people have offered and none of it works.
But VDMSound runs the Audblast.drv properly so it came down to a problem with DosBox but nobody believes me it seems. I dunno. *shrugs*

Ieremiou

BTW

This audblast.drv has worked in Windows XP, if you get my drift just the music doesn't anymore which is the adl.drv.
It's a very small audblast.drv only 9.2K (which is unusual). I've posted about it earlier in the forum about the problem with the audblast.drv and FPFPCD.

Also for the record.
Since using DosBox I've not yet gotten an error message about Soundblaster Drivers. So I know it initalizes but it doesn't work in DosBox.
I want it to work in DosBox because that is its "native" ground and it runs the "best" there overall. Windows version and VDMSound don't give it justice.

Reply 6 of 21, by SoundGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunantly, it doesn't run in VDMS too...
I'll just have to wait till the next version of DOSBox...
I'm not sure if FPFP CD runs ok, i didn't try it since i got my MT-32.
I might give it a check.. need to go on a cd-hunt first. don't remember where it is 😉

Reply 9 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Let me ask the obvious, you did unzip GOSiERRA into the Jones directory on your hard drive before you ran it, didn't you? If you did, try copying the AUDBLAST.DRV from the CD to your game's folder, over-writing the one there and run GOSiERRA again.

Reply 10 of 21, by SoundGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

first, let me say - DUH !
Yes, Gosierra is in the hard drive directory where the game is installed, the AUDBLAST.DRV from the cd is there, and it's size is 34K instead of 7K or 9K in most of the games.
i'll repeat and say that, the EXACT SAME THING works on my win98.

Reply 11 of 21, by FuShanks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll second that gosierra doesn't work with Jones CD.

I can get the game to run without crashing in DOSBox (WinXP) if I mount the disc as -t cdrom -usecd 0 and choose "CD-Audio" instead of the default "CMS SoundBlaster," however no voices are actually heard during gameplay. I've used a digital audtio cable, an analog audio cable, and even plugged a second set of speakers directly into the line out jack on the CD-ROM drive. No dice. I'm guessing either CD audio isn't 100% emulated in DOSBox or I'm missing something obvious in my setup.

VDMSound just locks up upon execution, regardless of which audio option is selected.

I don't play twister but I do get down.
Fu

Reply 13 of 21, by SoundGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well, i tried running it with dosbox 0.6.1, same result, "unable to initialize audio hardware" and crash.
did you do any .conf changes ?
can you do some md5 or something on you audblast.drv for me, so i'd know i have the same file ?
mine is :
85D64A7985E8948DB06034D7AE8507E9 Audblast.drv

Reply 14 of 21, by rgriff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is my resource.cfg:

videoDrv = VGA320.DRV
soundDrv = SNDBLAST.DRV
audioDrv = AUDBLAST.DRV
joyDrv = JOYSTICK.DRV
kbdDrv = IBMKBD.DRV
mouseDrv = STDMOUSE.DRV
memoryDrv = ARM.DRV
floppy = YES
minHunk = 359K

Not sure what you want me to find out about the AUDBLAST.DRV, but it is on the CD and cannot be altered. Its creation date is: Saturday, August 10, 1991, 1:56:54 AM. Here is my DOSBox line command: dosbox f:\games1\sierra\jones\jones.bat -c "mount y y:\ -t cdrom" -c "mount f f:\".

Reply 15 of 21, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SoundGuy wrote:

can you do some md5 or something

FYI, rgriff: MD5 is a sort of file signature key - like CRC's in a zip file. For more information, see
google.com/search?q=define:MD5+(Message ... ithm+%235)
and
http://google.com/search?q=define:CRC

The last known favored utility for getting both CRC's and MD5's on files in Windows (as it is not part of file system information, at least that I know of) was a utility called hkSFV: http://www.big-o-software.com/products/hksfv/

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 16 of 21, by rgriff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the good info, Stiletto. Here is the md5 signature for the audblast.drv driver file on my Jones in the Fast Lane CD: 85d64a7985e8948db06034d7ae8507e9. I believe it matches yours, SoundGuy.

Reply 18 of 21, by rgriff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BTW, here's my DOSBox batch file which I use to start the game:

dosbox f:\games1\sierra\jones\jones.bat -c "mount y y:\ -t cdrom" -c "mount f f:\"

and here's my jones.bat file:

Y:
jones f:\games1\sierra\jones\resource.cfg

NOTE: y is my cdrom drive and f:\games1\sierra\jones is the games location on my hard drive. I'm still trying to get DOSBox to quit automatically when I exit the game without having to type in 'exit' at the prompt, but it's just a minor detail. I'm real glad to get it working with the voices. Now if I can only get 'Alone in the Dark 3' working with all its sound effects...... Anyway, hope this helps.

Reply 19 of 21, by darkgamorck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found the solution:

You have to MOUNT the jones CD as a CD. You have to INSTALL the game. You have to then run the game from the directory it was installed to using the batch file it GIVES you. If you don't do it this way - it WILL not be able to initialize the AUDBLAST driver no matter what. Even if you downloaded Jones CD from the web as I did - just mount the directory with all the data on it as a CD and run the game using the batchfile on the harddrive.

I also had to replace my AUDBLAST.DRV file with this one:

http://www.jaylittle.com/jaylittle/downloads/AUDBLAST.DRV

Cheers.