VOGONS

First post, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I´ve tried to mount cdrom with the various commands (aspi, ioctl, label), but still no luck with Pandora Directive in DOSBox. The game will install fine but on first run it wants CD although it is in the drive. It is the original CD and no crack seems to be available. Before putting Pandora on the list of unsupported games I would like to know if everybody had the same experience or if somebody managed to run this game in DOSBox.

Reply 4 of 11, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What version of Windows are you using? If it is XP then DOSBOX probably is your best hope. If you are using Windows 95/98 (I don't know about 2000) then there is a patch available to make it run smoothly on Win 98. This is what I do and it works great.

Reply 5 of 11, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
basti007 wrote:

I'll try it someday later - am quite stressed at the moment.

OK, thanks.

Hazekel wrote:

What version of Windows are you using?

I have Windows XP. There is a long thread about the troubles with Pandora in XP on VOGONS.

By the way, no changes in DOSBox 0.61.

Reply 6 of 11, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bummer, it is a great game. I do know there is something called VDMSOUND for Windows XP, but I don't know much about it. My computer actually came with XP, but I downgraded to Windows 98se so I could run all the old great games.

Let me know how it all works out, as I too may someday have to "upgrade" to XP ( 🤐 ---shudders-- 😲 ).

Reply 7 of 11, by basti007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Jiri: Just tested Pandora with DOSBOX! (parameter: mount F F:\ -t cdrom -label PANDORA1 -usecd 1)

Worked great until the intro sequence. Then it prompeted me to insert disk 1.

I'm quite sure that it's a labeling issue... exactly the same problem accurs if you try to use a NoCD-Utility and set the labels wrong (already played with it A LOT and had exactly the same problems).

I only found one utility so far that was able to emulate the correct CD label on virtual drives without using ISO files (i put a NoCD walkthrough on the UnofficialTexMurphy Website once, so you probably find that issue there somewhere). I achieved this by an utility that reads out the WHOLE CD label spectrum - so not only the label but also other information like copyright flags and so on - and the emulate this label on the virtual CD drive. Then it suddendly worked.

I assume that the labeling process of DOSBox does not 100% read out labeling information saved in the CD-ROMs header. And just putting the -LABEL switch is probably not enough... Pandora is very sensitive there. Even if the information would be read out correctly it's still a problem when CD switching accurs - then you would have to set the LABEL again... except if you emulate 6 different CD drives, each with different labels.

Anyone tried UAKM so far? I guess, the problem should be similiar there, 'cause it's the same engine.

Reply 8 of 11, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, Basti, thanks for testing and confirmation. About UAKM: Some users complained (I think mainly with non Windows systems), but I have no trouble with CD switching in this game. Just tested it again (with various parameters combination) - UAKM works, Pandora not and it is currently only game I have that does not work in DOSBox because of the CD access problems.

Reply 9 of 11, by basti007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting to hear - i'll check out UAKM some time later probably. What parameters do you use for the UAKM CD labels if any? Do you have to change the CD label each time you switch the CD? I guess so... 😕

Reply 11 of 11, by basti007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I now have the same problem with UAKM... I just tested it with the same results like in Pandora... what's wrong with this mounting line?

mount D: F:\ -t cdrom -label DISK1 -usecd 0

I get the same errors as in Pandora, that the CD is not found in the drive. (The -ioctl command doesn't work under Win98, so i have to leave it out.)

I will test mounting it with the 0CD utility i used to play Moon and Pandora without CD Swapping under DOS once (mounts directorys as CD-ROMs including the whole labeling structure)... i will try this some time soon and post here.

But anyone an idea for the reason, why Moon is not working with me? I use v1.97 (the older once crashed when loading the DOS/4GW).