VOGONS

First post, by cmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm setting out to play through this Legend Classic and wanted to use the oppurtunity to try out GUS for the first time. First and foremost, the game runs completely fine using SB16. When I switch to GUS, the game starts fine aswell and sounds INCREDIBLY better. However, as soon as I try to skip the intro movie by pressing escape, Dosbox "blackscreens" and I have to kill it in Windows Task Manager. Moreso, after this happens once, the game will blackscreen as soon as I start it. I have to execute the installer, switch to SB, then switch back to GUS to get the game starting again at all with GUS. Any idea what could possibly be the problem here? If not I guess I'll resort to using SB after all, even if it sounds terrible by comparison.

I'm using the prepackaged GUS folder files from the wiki (http://www.dosgames.com/forum/about10574.html) and tried both the 411 and the PRO version, same outcome.
Searching Google revealed a compatibilty page entry from Broken Sword where someone had blackscreens using GUS with that game, but otherwise I couldn't find anything on it.

Reply 1 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's crashing while loading GUS instrument patches, but curiously it varies which patch it crashes on from one run to the next... None of the usual suspects in DOSBox settings or loadfix makes a difference.

Using a different extender than the version of DOS/4GW bound to DGATE.EXE seems to prevent the problem. Both DOS/4GW 1.97 and DOS/32A 9.1.2 worked in my tests; however, I had to strip the linear executable out of DGATE.EXE in order to use DOS/4GW 1.97, so there's less fuss with DOS/32A. Copy DOS32A.EXE (get it here) into the game directory, and then run the game with the command: dos32a dgate

Reply 3 of 3, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On a personal note, I think I prefer the GM music over the GUS (such typically sounds better, presuming you've loaded an appropriate SoundFont and etc.).

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.