VOGONS

Win32s error

Topic actions

First post, by GlazedDoughnut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have never used DOSBox before so I need a bit of idiot-friendly help.

I desperately want to install Zoombinis for my daughter to play. It doesn't install on my laptop because it's 64-bit windows 8 and the game is 16-bit. So after some googling I discovered the DOSBox solution.

I have installed Windows 3.1 in DOSBox and successfully installed the game from my CD Rom. However when I launch the game I get the error message: Win32s - Cannot run (path): Invalid Format. When I click OK I get a further message DOS Error 21. I've googled the errors but the explanations of what is causing them are all beyond my technical knowledge and I don't understand what I can do.

Can anybody offer some advice?

Reply 1 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Change the cputype setting from "auto" to "pentium_slow". You can do this by editing the dosbox.conf file in Notepad and changing the line "cputype=auto" to "cputype=pentium_slow", or at DOSBox's command prompt type the command "cputype pentium_slow" before starting Windows 3.

Reply 3 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Also try setting cputype=486_slow, and confirm that the setting is in effect (i.e. type "cputype" at the command prompt and get "486_slow" as the response) before running Windows 3. The "DOS error 21" is a common issue with Win32s, and changing the cputype will usually fix it.

Reply 5 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Do you still get the "DOS error 21" message from Win32s with cputype=486_slow? I mean, the game might not work for any number of reasons, and changing the cputype was only intended to work around that one specific type of error.

Reply 6 of 6, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You haven't mentioned whether you installed Win32s. It's not part of Windows 3.1 and has to be installed separately.

Check the guide and look under "Other drivers".

Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide

Also according to the wiki any version below 2.0 needs Quicktime.