VOGONS

First post, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been trying to get the 3DFX version of Tomb Raider working in the latest Daum SVN build of DOSBox and not having much luck. I know this is an experimental build, but others have apparently gotten it to work.

I have the software version working fine. As for the Glide version, here is what I've tried;

1. I copied the included "glide2x.ovl" file to the game directory as instructed by most guides (I've also tried it without copying it to the game directory), then I copied the Voodoo version of TOMB.EXE to the game directory, overwriting the existing file. Glide=true is set in the DOSBox .conf file which is being used to run the game. The game loads, but runs in software mode. There are no Glide related messages in the console window, no 3DFX splash screen (I have it set to true in the .conf and have the required DLL file). When I start the game, it's in software mode and I can switch between low-res and high-res with the F1 key.

2. Same as above, but I set Glide=emu in the .conf file. I get the 3DFX splash screen and the game runs in Glide mode, but it's too slow to be enjoyable. The music on the main menu glitches, the ring rotates slowly, etc. The game itself is slightly better and is running in Glide mode, but the sound is too slow and glitchy to be enjoyable. According to the docs, this is because it's using software emulation, which is more CPU inetnsive.

3. Most guides say to use the Voodoo Rush version, so I copied that file to the game directory and had Glide=true set in the .conf file. The console window says that Glide is activated when I run the game, but that's immediately followed by three error messages;

Glide:Invalid function pointer for call grGlideInit
Glide:Invalid function pointer for call grSstQueryHardware
Glide:Invalid function pointer for call grSstSelect

There's no 3DFX splash screen and once I skip the opening videos, I get a black screen with the menu music playing and an endless stream of Glide error messages in the console. If I try to start the game blind, the opening video plays, then DOSBox crashes.

4. Same as above, but with Glide=emu in the .conf file. No error messages in the console window, no 3DFX splash screen and the menu screen is just black with music playing. If I start a game blind, the video plays then the game crashes with a message telling me it failed to lock the 3DFX frame buffer.

Do I need to use a specific version/build of DOSBox to get the Voodoo Rush version to work? Will it work any better than using the Voodoo version in emu mode?

Reply 1 of 10, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Could try a test dosbox/3dfx build posted at site in the signature below. Also, configure dosbox.conf with cycles=75000 along with kekko's voodoo1 emulation (voodoo=opengl; output=openglnb). If this doesn't work, then try another Windows computer for testing since this configuration has worked for others.

This is not a supported configuration since the voodoo1 emulation is not included with official dosbox. Here is other software to run Tomb Raider, which includes support for non-technical users: http://www.glidos.net.

Reply 2 of 10, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First of all, don't copy glide2x.ovl anywhere. 2 different files are needed when both glide (glide=true) and 3dfx emulation (glide=emu) are used and Daum build will take care of including the correct one. Then use the Voodoo Rush version 😀

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 3 of 10, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
truth5678 wrote:

Could try a test dosbox/3dfx build posted at site in the signature below.

Yes that one works with the normal Voodoo version. The Rush version still doesn't work. Even though it works, I notice a lot of really obvious seams between textures. I haven't yet tried to see if any of the settings will eliminate that. Also, in Windowed mode, it keeps changing the window size, and in full screen mode, I keep getting flashes of the desktop every time it (I assume) changes resolution.

truth5678 wrote:

Also, configure dosbox.conf with cycles=75000 along with kekko's voodoo1 emulation (voodoo=opengl; output=openglnb).

None of that made any difference with the Daum DOSBox.

truth5678 wrote:

This is not a supported configuration since the voodoo1 emulation is not included with official dosbox. Here is other software to run Tomb Raider, which includes support for non-technical users: http://www.glidos.net.

Glidos isn't free and I don't like the idea of having to rely on a web site to unlock it.

gulikoza wrote:

First of all, don't copy glide2x.ovl anywhere. 2 different files are needed when both glide (glide=true) and 3dfx emulation (glide=emu) are used and Daum build will take care of including the correct one.

Yup, I've also tried every configuration without the Glide files in the game directory, and there's no difference.

gulikoza wrote:

Then use the Voodoo Rush version 😀

Nope, the Voodoo Rush version still doesn't work. 🙁

I'm using the Voodoo files off my Platinum Collection disc, but just to make I didn't have a defective copy, I dowloaded the Voodoo files off the net and they have the same MD5 checksum as what's on the disc.

Can you please verify that the Voodoo Rush version of Tomb Raider works in the latest Daum SVN version which, at the time of this writing, is from Jan. 27th, 2014?

I could understand if DOSBox itself had problems on my system, like being too slow. What I don't understand is how anything on my system could cause a program to fail inside of DOSBox. I mean, DOSBox is a virtual environment, so shouldn't it be consistent across systems as far as what programs it will run?

Reply 4 of 10, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From what I understand (and please correct me if I'm wrong, this setting isn't clearly explained and this is just my experience)
- glide=true requires a real voodoo card present or a glide wrapper such as nGlide
- glide=emu emulates it (and is slow as expected)

Having the game working in emu mode means that you have a correctly patched Tomb Raider for 3dfx.

Every glide game that I've tried having nGlide installed and glide=true runs perfectly. BUT, especially for Tomb Raider there is something strange going on: I couldn't get it to start in glide mode (no 3dfx splash screen) with this setup, only with emu. So better try with another game too, just to be sure...

Reply 5 of 10, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
konc wrote:

From what I understand (and please correct me if I'm wrong, this setting isn't clearly explained and this is just my experience)
- glide=true requires a real voodoo card present or a glide wrapper such as nGlide
- glide=emu emulates it (and is slow as expected)

I was under the impression that the Daum version of DOSBox included a Glide wrapper built in and would use it when Glide=true was set. None of the guides mention having to have a real Voodoo card or an external Glide wrapper installed. I'll try nGlide and see what happens.

konc wrote:

Having the game working in emu mode means that you have a correctly patched Tomb Raider for 3dfx.

Well, the normal Voodoo version works, the Voodoo Rush version doesn't work at all.

konc wrote:

Every glide game that I've tried having nGlide installed and glide=true runs perfectly. BUT, especially for Tomb Raider there is something strange going on: I couldn't get it to start in glide mode (no 3dfx splash screen) with this setup, only with emu. So better try with another game too, just to be sure...

I'm not sure I have any other DOS games that use Glide.

Reply 6 of 10, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, I installed nGlide and now the Voodoo Rush version of Tomb Raider works, however I get graphical glitches. Specifically, I get boxes around many of the objects in the world, like the hanging plants in the caves. It doesn't affect the gameplay, but it makes the game look like crap. I've just posted a message on the nGlide forum asking if anyone knows a way to fix the problem.

Reply 9 of 10, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
truth5678 wrote:
Rekrul wrote:

Specifically, I get boxes around many of the objects in the world...

Press F3 in-game to modify anti-aliasing effect.

The only trouble - now you have black lines around gun flames. 😀

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 10 of 10, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the replies, F3 worked. The lines are gone, but now I occasionally notice a slight seam between some textures.

I also tried some of the other Glide wrappers to see if they had the same problem with the pause menu.

I couldn't get Zeckensack's wrapper to work at all.

dgVoodoo worked, but had some pretty noticeable seams between textures.

psVoodoo didn't work at all. Well, the game ran, but everything was black and I couldn't run the config program.

eVoodooXP also didn't work. The main menu is black and my firewall alerted me that DOSBox wanted to make an outgoing connection.

OpenGlide seemed to work the best, although during some resolution changes, the Desktop icons flash on the bottom of the screen for a moment. With the defaults, there were some very noticeable texture seams, but after I disabled most everything in the INI file, that went away. I haven't yet tried disabling them one by one to see which one does it. The pause menu is perfect and the game looks great so far. I noticed a couple minor graphical glitches, but nothing major.

Also as a point of trivia, I discovered that nGlide can be used like the other 'portable' Glide wrappers where you just copy the DLL files to the program's directory. You have to install it to get the files from Windows\System32, but after you copy the glide*.dll and nGlide*.* files elsewhere, you can uninstall it, then just drop them in the program's directory as needed.

I mention this because a few years ago, I put the dgVoodoo files into System32 so that every program could detect them and this caused Return to Castle Wolfenstein to crash on me when I tried to start a mission. For whatever reason, it detected the Glide DLL files and was trying to default to using them. Once I deleted them, the game worked perfectly. Ever since then, I've preferred to put the wrapper files in each program's directory as needed rather than having them in the Windows\System32 directory.