VOGONS

Dosbox and Princess Maker 2

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, sorry my english

someone have this gaming running well? the game in static parts works great, but in the adventure parts, the one you control the girl, the tearing is too much. When you walk, is like a totally absence of vsync

I tried ddraw, surface, opengl, d3d.. etc, different dosbox (official, Taewoong's, and some others) and same

I believe maybe was my low spect computer (1ghz athlon) and I tried in a Q6600 with a Geforce 9600, and same problem

For example, exactly in this place

gfs_45318_2_8.jpg

Any ideas? thanks

Reply 2 of 17, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, thank you for reply

I record this AVI

http://akihabara-online.com/Material/March2014/pm2_001.avi

The problem is there, you can see the tearing

By the way, I have a real 486 machine, and there is not tearing at all. I tested in a Celeron 333mhz PC too, and no tearing neither. Both in real DOS

Thanks

Reply 4 of 17, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, thanks

I play with cycles, from 1500 to 30000, in steps of 150

I fixes cycles at 3000, 5000... 20000 and same

Tried too all CPU, etc options (dynamic, full, etc), vga/svideo options, EMS, etc etc

I think I tried all options in dosbox.conf, but tearing remains

In dosbox website, they say it runs "perfect" but maybe is because nobody really tried to do a long play 😊

In ntvdm works great, no tearing, but I really preffer to use DOSBox because i want to just play the game at 1280x960, in ntvdm my screen stretch to native 1280x1024 😀

Reply 7 of 17, by coolhaken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
truth5678 wrote:

Is this thread related to last year's thread here: Help - build a Dosbox PC. It was posted that you had video tearing that I could not reproduce. Also, I could not play the above AVI file.
Moreover, mobygames.com does not show that this game was available for DOS. Is this the FM Towns version?

Although the English PM2 is a leaked beta version.
There is a Trad. Chinese version of PM2 for DOS. This game works fine with DOSBox 0.74 official if you boot to real DOS. 😉

Reply 8 of 17, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have versions for FM-Towns, PC-98, Mac, Saturn, etc etc of this game, for DOS only the beta if I dont remember bad, Chinese version is for windows

truth5678 , about the old thread, is not the same problem, this old tread was about vsync. And the video, is taken from dosbox windows, in the same folder, is the codec

About vsync, today i test in a custom dosbox, that is fixed in 60hz, perfect vsync (if the game is 70hz, slowdown to 60hz, but vsync is great) and same problem

For now, I dont found any solution

Reply 10 of 17, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
truth5678 wrote:

One way to find a solution is to first locate a legitimate copy of the game, so its compatibility would be known. It is not known whether your version is fully compatible with "standard" DOS. For example, if it is a modified FM Towns version, then the video output may be non-standard.

Any version you can find for dos is a legitimate copy, is same beta everywhere, is a official port to DOS

Reply 12 of 17, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back to the question, anyone tried the game?

I tested today in a C2D machine with a dedicated ATI radeon 4550, and same problem. Other games work like a charm, no tearing, no vsync problems

I tested in ntvdm in same machine, and no tearing, just in dosbox

Finally, i tested the game in 8 different computers, 3 desktop and 5 laptops, the destops and two laptops with XP 32, I tested dosbox and ntvdm. 3 laptops with win7 x64 only dosbox. All same tearing in dosbox, and OK in ntvdm

Like i said, in real DOS works perfect too (real 486 and celeron machine)

My saves are personal, but if someone need, i can make a save just to test, I create a princess and play until is possible to do some adventure

For now, all looks like a dosbox problem

Reply 14 of 17, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
truth5678 wrote:

The issue isn't dosbox, it's running pirated software. If the software was legitimately obtained, then it would be possible to compare a working copy versus one that does not.

Don't get offended, if you don't like this thread, read another one

My idea with this thread is to find people that can test the game for a possible solution in dosbox, and report the problem, not to talk about the beta

And by the way, the game is in dosbox list

http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=300&letter=P

And yes, the issue probably is in dosbox, or something in the config, because the game works well in real dos. And dosbox is a PC+DOS emulator true?