VOGONS

First post, by Nelinas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have managed to make QFG 4 run in the newest Dosbox, and finally the game has stopped kicking me out every 30 seconds.
Unfortunately, the game runs rather slowly, pauses after the mouseclicks, the hero wa-a-a-alks slowly...
Anybody has an idea how I could make it faster?
I know about slowdown utilities, I have downloaded Speedset, but I have never used it.
Is it possible to use speedset for speeding up?
If so,
Is it possible to run Speedset in Dosbox before the game's .exe?
Thanks!

Reply 1 of 7, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

QFG4 is the best of the series, but it is also the buggiest of them all. My CD has both a windows version and a DOS version and, even when I had true DOS, I was forced to use the windows version. In other words, the problem may not be DOSBOX per se, but the game itself. If you have the Windows version I recommend playing it, despite its nuances. If you don't you will wind up with numerous crashes even if you can get the game running smoothly. Also, check for patch disk at Sierra as well. Sorry, I couldn't be of much more help.

Reply 2 of 7, by Nelinas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks!
I chose the DOS version, namely because it was the Windows one that gave me the numerous crashes. And yes, I have it patched with all three released patches.
I am now still wondering how to use a speed "modifier" within DOSBox.
Of course, Speedset has unceremoniously kicked me out of the DOSBox, once I tried to use it.

Reply 4 of 7, by Nelinas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I appreciate the irony, but no, I haven't. I don't know how...
I know that Ctrl-F8 is for increasing frameskip,
and
Ctrl-F12 is for speedup emulation. And that's it.
Should I use them both? In what order?
How many times?
Thank you, and sorry for the ignorance.

Reply 5 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well in the readme it's described in to detail
but basicly

watch your cpu usage.

increase speed with ctrl-f12
when you're near the max. Free some cpu time with ctrl-f8

But everything is governed by the cpu usage.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With the new timer bug patch found on the message board of SpaceQuest.Net http://forum.spacequest.net/viewtopic.php?t=1 … 4a97c6a15149b24 You can run the DOS version of the game with just VDMSound. It fixes all of the Timer bugs in QfG4.

http://www.lau-net.de/~nl2305/sciwfix2.exe