VOGONS

First post, by Defektiv:Unit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,
This has probably been asked a few times but I have searched the forums for a while and failed to find a satisfactory answer, so here goes:

I've been having some trouble using dosbox w/ TES:Arena. I have the original cd and I mount all the drives correctly (I think) - you can even see a screen cap here that I made to make things a little easier. I have even used the "-t cdrom" flag. so then I go:
z: /> cd c:
c: />arena

and then....

nothing!

any ideas? I realize that it does say "limited support" so I'm not expecting this to be easy, exactly, and I've seen a lot of people have had trouble circumventing the MSCDEX driver requirement. I've also tried copying the entire contents of the cd to my hard drive and doing at it that way but to no avail. it's probably something pretty stupid because I'm good at overlooking that kind of thing. But any help is appreciated.

sys specs:
win2k sp4, AMD Athlon 900mhz,Gigabyte GA-7ZMMH mobo, 512mb pc133, Seagate 40gb HD 7200rpm, sound blaster 128 (on mobo), ATI 7000 64mb, plextor 40x

[blood oils the gears:hate fules the machine]

Reply 1 of 7, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

*Install DOSBox
*Make a folder "ArenaCD" where you installed DOSBox.
*Make a folder "ArenaHD" where you installed DOSBox.
*Copy all the contents from the Arena CD to the ArenaCD directory.
*Start DOSBox

mount c ArenaHD
mount d ArenaCD -t cdrom
(Now C is the harddrive and D is the CD)
d:
install
(pick soundblaster pro for sound/music and then play)

Reply 2 of 7, by Defektiv:Unit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks! it worked!
of course, it runs a little choppy and the music sounds like a skipping IDM cd, but I guess that's what reading the doucmentation is for...
thanks again!

[blood oils the gears:hate fules the machine]

Reply 3 of 7, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding the new 0.61 version. The floppy version still works fine. However, the CD version do not. About 80% of the times there's just a black screen. And the rest of the times the starting animation and game starts. I find this very wierd, since I don't make any config changes AT ALL.

Same config = sometimes work, but mostly not.

I have tried fooling around with the config aswell. Turning off XMS, and GUS and stuff. And trying to start the game with no sound whatsoever. But to no avail 🙁

Reply 4 of 7, by White Dust

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The seccond problem with the CD version of Arena is that the savefunction isn't working correctly, the same problem as in 0.60.
Awell, maybe in time it will work 😜 until them Im using the floppy version...

Reply 6 of 7, by dffd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i got arena on the cd to work in .61 i just had to turn up the cpu cycles to like 13000 to 15000. also im running it on a p4 3.06ghz

the save game sometimes froze the game/app but if you restarted dosbox the save game was in the load game list and playable... also i dont know why it dosnt crash anymore... im out of the first dungen and saving games in the middle of the save game slots and it dosnt freeze anymore...

maby its just becuase i can thow a ton of prosser power at the game who knows but it works for me....