VOGONS

First post, by satras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I installed the Dosbox to use a very old DOS-Marketing database, named "DataEase". At home it runs on a Win 8.1-System without problems. In my company we have Win7professional-Systems. When I start the Dosbox the Database runs for a few minutes correctly an and then the program become slower and slower till the crash. When I work with the program (DataEasy) continously this Problem doesn´t appear. Do you have any ideas? (I have not admin-rights in the Company)

greetings from germany
satras

Reply 3 of 4, by JosSchaars

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It was a long time ago I supported a DataEase application.
Very nice database program, almost no programming required, easy and fast to use.
The only problem I had with this was with a Linux server, connections timing out.
That seems not to be your problem.

But DOSBox is for games and not suited for “serious” applications.
It cashes disk operations, relies on a snapshot of the file system, record locking only works correctly if all workstations use DOSBox.
In a multi-user setting this will lead to disaster.
If I remember well, DataEase has its own locking system, this can’t work with DOSBox cashing and more than one instance of DataEase in a network.
Instead you could try vDos: http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdos/.
It’s based on DOSBox, but solves its issues with accessing data with database applications.

Reply 4 of 4, by satras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Sammy and leileilol
Thank you für your answers. I tried it (cycles = 20000) and the effect that my database become slower and slower disappeared. But I have crashes ervery day.

@JosSchaars
Thank You too. Can I install vDos on a USB-Stick, because I have no admin-rights in my company to install vDos on my pc?