VOGONS

First post, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi.

I am trying to get Star Trek: Klingon to run (http://www.mobygames.com/game/star-trek-klingon). I have a working version of Windows 3.11 in DOSBox, set up via Dominus' guide (Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide), which runs game like Daedalus Encounter and Critical Path just fine, but there is a problem with Klingon:

Klingon installed from the original CD1 without problems, but all the programs it installs keep prompting for the CD afterwards and refuse to run.

I have tried the original disk with my physical CD drive mounted in DOSBox, I have tried making an ISO and imgmounting that, even tried copying over the files to the harddisk and mounting the folder as cdrom, and also copied all files into the install folder. No luck.

This on both stable DOSBox 0.74 and SVN r3833 I happened to have installed.

Any tips, ideas, anyone? Any config options I missed? Should I try installing specific DOS/WIN3X CD-ROM device drivers?

Thanks!

edit: W7x64 by the way.

Reply 1 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
sndwv wrote:

Klingon installed from the original CD1 without problems, but all the programs it installs keep prompting for the CD afterwards and refuse to run.

This software (not exactly a game) doesn't do anything to indentify the cdrom discs, it only complains when it can't find the files it wants on the cdrom drive. When I choose the "Klingon Language Lab" it complains if CD1 is in the drive because it needs one of the other discs, so I just have to give it that disc. All of the icons other than the language lab that are installed in the program group start up fine for me in DOSBox 0.74 with CD1 in the drive. If you're using physical discs in an optical drive then you should press Ctrl-F4 after switching discs to update DOSBox's directory cache; but if you're mounting multiple disc images then you should already be pressing Ctrl-F4 to switch discs.

Reply 2 of 5, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

When I choose the "Klingon Language Lab" it complains if CD1 is in the drive because it needs one of the other discs, so I just have to give it that disc.

Thanks for your reply!

Ok, slight facepalm, first of all I just found out I was mixing up my disc 1 and 2 (the EU version has them numbered, not labelled...), but as I already tried every feasible combination including the right one, that did not help, unfortunately. The program keeps asking for the 'Language Lab' CD:

ll.png
Filename
ll.png
File size
4.63 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The most surefire way to mount the disc would be "mount d F:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0" with disc 2 in drive F:, correct? Because unless I am overlooking something obvious here it just will not pick up the disc for some reason.

The Immersion Studies & samplers now work though, turns out the problem there was the version of VfW installed or me trying the wrong disc. I had unjustly lumped that together with Language Lab's CD problem.

Reply 3 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
sndwv wrote:

The most surefire way to mount the disc would be "mount d F:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0" with disc 2 in drive F:, correct? Because unless I am overlooking something obvious here it just will not pick up the disc for some reason.

The Klingon Language Lab files are on disc 3 in the version I have here. Facepalm again?

Reply 4 of 5, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

The Klingon Language Lab files are on disc 3 in the version I have here. Facepalm again?

*slap!*

Ahem ... ok ... yes ... that was indeed the problem. As that disc is 'just an audio CD' and I remembered reading somewhere the set came with a bonus 'Power Klingon' audio course I completely ignored it. But of course disc 1 installed the necessary files to play the redbook content.

Well, everything works just fine then, thanks for the help, could have taken a while before I figured this out otherwise!

Reply 5 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

FYI, disc 3 has a data track and one audio track in the version I have. The data track contains AVI files, and not finding those is what the Language Lab program complains about, at least initially.