VOGONS

Eat This

Topic actions

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have been working on getting the game "Eat This" running in Win 3.11 under dosbox 0.74 (have also tried a recent SVN DAUM build).

The game gives the following error message at launch:
Application Error
Call to Undefined Dynalink

Using a debug build I see that on launch it searches for MCICDA.DRV. It checks D:, C:, C:\WINDOWS, and then C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM. Upon finding cd audio driver in the system folder, it then starts running the same loop looking for CDAUDIO.MCI. I have not determined if it is actually seeking a real file or if it is just trying to access the CD Audio interface at this point. My google searches have turned up no file named CDAUDIO.MCI, rather it simply always points me to the cd audio driver (MCICDA.DRV). However I find it odd that is searches for D:\CDAUDIO.MCI, C:\CDAUDIO.MCI, etc... as if it were an actual file.

It loops through the 4 folders searching for this 3 or 4 times before it throws the error message up.

So it appears that the game is getting hung up on the cd audio.

I went and checked the exe file (of the full version and the shareware release), and found that it is a 16bit executable. However, a readme file in a map pack I found online states that the game requires Win95. So I am starting to wonder if the game was developed for Windows 3.1, but then due to when it finally released, they tacked on some calls to Win95 DLL's, and just changed the box requirements to Win95 only (I can't verify this as I do not own the games box, nor can I find a high quality scan of it). My copy just can in a plastic sleeve.

Maybe someone with more experience with W95 can tell me if the cdaudio.mci call is something that would be inherent to that OS? Or maybe I am totally going about this all wrong and someone can suggest something to try. I have sent a message to the moby game contributor that created the entry and took the screen shots to see how he got the game running and to see if he used Win 3.1 in any form.

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have this game so cannot test.

Is there a CD Audio driver installed in the control panel?

Also make sure you are using a bin/cue image and that you've mounted it using imgmount.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yes. The shareware version is available online and gives the same error as the full version. I can point you to the shareware version if you like. The wayback machine has it on the games original website, www.eatthis.com. It is also at the internet archive.