VOGONS

First post, by hydr0x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ran into an illegal switch /b error when installing the game AIV Networks from floppy images.

Screenshot:

oQrO6gQ.png
The culprit is this line in the installation bat

copy toto00.vo/B+toto01.vo/B+toto02.vo/B finfo15.voc

I was able to manually fix the installation by adjusting the .bat and changing the line to

copy toto00.vo /B + toto01.vo /B + toto02.vo /B finfo15.voc

this also works though

copy toto00.vo/B +toto01.vo/B +toto02.vo/B finfo15.voc

I unfortunately don't have the possibility to test this on a real DOS machine right now, but it seems(!) the parameter parser does not interpret + without a preceding space correctly.

Reply 1 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If you have an installer or game that uses commands or syntax not suppored in DOSBox's shell, it's a simple matter to use the 4DOS shell in such cases, but really unusual syntax may throw off 4DOS as well.

In this case the /B (binary) switch only needs to be specified once, because all source files are binary, e.g. COPY /B 1+2+3 123; however, the COPY command in DOSBox's shell always does binary copies, so the switch has no real effect.

Reply 2 of 3, by hydr0x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, but those are all just ways to circumvent this behavior, which I already did. The point is, I can't install this game from original floppies in DOSBox without modifying the .bat on the floppy (as it deletes the originals of that copy command after the copy) despite it only using standard MS-DOS commands. To me, that's a flaw/bug in the emulator, which I thought was worth reporting.

Reply 3 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
hydr0x wrote:

The point is, I can't install this game from original floppies in DOSBox without modifying the .bat on the floppy

You seem to be missing the point that the game would probably install just fine without modifying anything if you use the 4DOS shell. Problem reports are appreciated, but please understand that DOSBox's shell does not support everything the command interpreter in real DOS does, and it likely never will.